With temps in Phoenix at 97 last weekend, I guess we can officially say that winter is over (bye bye soups), and Spring/Summer is on its way!
This means we have maybe a month or two where we can “live” outside and use the barbecue, eat outside, etc before the real heat begins. If it’s 97 in March, I’m really really dreading June.
Guess this means we really need to clean up the back yard, wipe down the patio table, dust of the seat cushions and get ready for swimming?
ANYWAY – what I like about spring is that we CAN just come home, and go outside to the patio and hang there. Having a salad made ahead in the fridge ready to go as a great side with steak means I can spend more time with a glass of wine than in the kitchen madly prepping dinner.
This salad is super good for you. It brags lots of nutritional buzz words, and can be vegan if you switch out the honey for agave or maple syrup.
Plus, it’s yummy. Sorry cilantro haters, this one isn’t for you!
Broccoli Chop Salad with Garlic Honey Dressing
For the Salad
- 2 small heads broccoli
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- chopped cilantro to taste
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse broccoli and cauliflower in food processor until chopped roughly (don’t overchop, you don’t want mush).
- Add broccoli and cauliflower to a large bowl, add shredded carrots, onion and cilantro.
- Make dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a lidded jar, and shake until well blended. Or use a whisk and a bowl, whatever... you choose.
- Mix salad and dressing together (add some, taste then add more until it's dressed how you like), then add the sunflower seeds on top to serve.
Recipe NotesIf making ahead, leave the dressing and sunflowers off - and add in when ready to serve.