Bright green roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan – these take a childhood dread to DELIGHT!
Brussels sprouts are a love-em-or-hate-em kind of deal in most households. Thankfully, in mine – we love them. I think a lot of people have had them poorly prepared, and think they hate them which is such a shame! The main thing I’ve noticed is that they’re overcooked. Let me just say: Overcooking them is a CRIME. When they become limp and mushy (and bitter), it’s all over and there’s no coming back from that. These little beauties are fabulous cooked alone of course, but adding shallots, bacon and parmesan may actually turn the haters in YOUR family into enthusiasts. These are actually requested at my house (if you can believe that). I mean, who can blame them, though, right?
I use these as a yummy side at Thanksgiving, Christmas and a random Tuesday. Whenever these are in season (and honestly, even when they’re not), if I see them at the store, I usually grab some. I’m get to convince my 2 and 4 year old sons to try them, but to be perfectly honest – we’re not pushing the issue. Why? Well, because… then we’d have to share!
Looking for more yummy sides?
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 shallot diced fine (can sub ½ an onion)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts cleaned and halved
- ½ cup cooked crumbled bacon
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook the shallots over medium heat until tender.
- Add Brussels sprouts, and put the lid on the skillet, and let cook for around 8 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Let the sprouts get brown on the bottom.
- When they're cooked to your preferred level of doneness - remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle bacon and cheese over the top, serve.