Healthy, hearty and not a frozen chicken nugget in sight, these chicken, white bean and sweet potato nuggets are full of flavor and nutrition. Perfect for families!
I’m not at all adverse to using frozen chicken nuggets. Sure, I buy the “good kind”, but I love making my own and being able to add in a few things to boost their nutritional value.
These I made ahead and kept in the fridge ready for a quick dinner during the week.
If making them for little ones, go easy on the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. H loved them (eventually), but the husband said “tastes like thanksgiving… in a nugget” which I can see! (hey, maybe I’ll add cranberries and green beans next time to complete the theme! ha).
Source: adapted from onehandedcooks.com.au
Chicken, White Bean & Sweet Potato Nuggets
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs poultry seasoning
- 2 cups crushed cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Boil the sweet potato and beans until soft, and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the onion until finely chopped. Add the chicken breast and process until a mince texture forms. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the sweet potato, beans, spices and herbs to the chicken mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place your cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs in a bowl
- Take teaspoon amounts of chicken mixture and roll into balls. Dip
- in the crumbs.
- Place on the baking tray, flatten to form a nugget, and continue with the remaining mixture.
- Lightly brush the nuggets with olive oil, or spray using an oil mister
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the chicken in cooked through (165°F)