A fabulous combination of salty/sweet, these tarts have it all. A rich buttery chocolate cookie crust, gooey salted caramel, topped with a decadent and gorgeously rich ganache… do I have your attention?!
What are we… last week in January? So your resolution to give up dessert is probably waning. Good. If not, this recipe will probably nail it for you! Instead of a large deep dish pie, I made this into 4 smaller individual tarts. You could use a regular pie dish with similar amounts of crust, caramel and ganache I used. Great for making ahead and pulling out of the fridge with a flourish and a “ta-da!”
Chocolate Salted Caramel Oreo Tarts
- 18 oreo cookies filling and cookie included
- 1 2 Tbs butter divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream divided
- 6 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp flaky salt I used kosher
- Crush the oreos with a food processor, or put them in a ziplock and smash with a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- Place crumbs in a bowl, then stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter until well combined.
- Press firmly into your pie plate or tart pans (bottom and sides). Freeze crust for 10 minutes until set.
- Combine 8 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Over a medium heat, cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Beat in 1/4 cup cream until smooth. Cool about 15 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the Oreo crust, sprinkle with some kosher salt, then return to freezer for about 30 minutes until chilled and set but not frozen.
- Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl. In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup cream to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until completely smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and freeze for a final 30 minutes, until just chilled and set or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with a flaky sea salt like kosher salt,
- Store covered in the refrigerator and serve chilled.