A rich, tasty chili that is easy to prepare and cooked all day. No long list of ingredients, you probably have them all in your pantry already!
This really NEEDS a good long stay in the crockpot, in order to blend all the flavors properly. I LOVE making this chili – it’s so easy, makes a LOT (so plenty to freeze for later – chili dogs? a quick lunch?) Served with some corn bread, or tortillas, this is a hearty dinner ready for when you walk in the door! A note about chili powder. Whenever that appears in a recipe, it refers to a chili powder BLEND, not pure ground chillies.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped (about a cup)
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can of pinto beans drained and rinsed (or kidney beans)
- 1 14oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 Tbs of chili powder
- 1 Tbs ½of cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Brown the beef and onion in a large pan at a medium high heat until beef is browned, and onion is tender. Drain and discard fat.
- Place beef and onions, and all remaining ingredients in the crock pot.
- Stir, cover and cook on for 6-8 hours or until flavors are well blended.
- Serve with corn bread, in a tortilla, or in a bowl topped with cheese, sour cream.