A yummy slow cooked soup, packed with flavor and goodness – 15 Bean Soup is a great one to set and forget!
Recently, The Husband and I were talking about how food/smells can evoke memories, and we started talking things we ate as children. I wondered which dishes our children would love about growing up with, and what recipes their future wives would be asking ME for! When I asked if there was anything he particularly loved that his mother made, and he said “some kind of bean soup, with every bean you can think of… she put it in a crockpot, and I think there was ham involved”…. I knew I had to try and find a way to recreate this for him. My husband’s mother passed away long before we met, so I was never able to meet or spend time with the lady who made him this dinner, and obviously can’t ask her for her recipe. I hope she’s watching over us, and will smile when she sees how wonderful her son turned out to be. As it happens, he loved this soup. It wasn’t like his Mom’s (hers wasn’t dark), but he loved the recipe and the effort anyway. Guess I’ll keep trying…!
15 Bean Soup (Crockpot)
- 20 oz 15 bean blend picked over and rinsed, use only the beans; discard seasoning packet if there is one
- 1 medium onion minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 carrots sliced into round (approx. 2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 8oz. ham steak cut into 1/2" pieces (approx. 2 cups); omit for vegan/vegetarian version
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme you can also use italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce may reduce to 1/8or omit if lower sodium soup is desired
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth use vegetable broth for vegan/vegetarian version
- 14.5 oz can no salt diced tomatoes
- Add beans to a large bowl or pot, and cover with 8 cups of water. Leave overnight.
- Combine onion, garlic, carrots, celery, ham, black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, bay leaf, soy sauce, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes in crockpot - put in the fridge overnight too (saves time in the morning).
- Add beans to crockpot, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.