A DIY way to have conveniently packaged homemade oatmeal with yummy flavors. We go through a LOT of oatmeal in our house. Hayden (age 3) would eat it for every meal if we let him.
Sometimes we do. He really loves the peaches & cream, blueberries & cream and strawberries & cream kinds that we can buy at the store as well as the apple/cinnamon kind and the maple/brown sugar… oh … fine, he likes them ALL We run out of those often enough that we make the “normal” kind from scratch – and he likes that TOO. I figured if I put together a few bags of this, it would be easy to pull out and use as needed. Blending some of the oats before mixing with the unblended oats makes for a smoother, creamier texture when cooked (closely resembling store bought). Turns out… he likes the “mama made” kind better than the store bought. WIN. The bags above show Apricots & Cream and Apple & Cinnamon.
DIY: Instant Oatmeal Packages
- 5 cups quick oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal - leave it out entirely if you don't need it
- 1/2 cup dry milk powder
OPTIONAL ADD IN IDEAS
- dried apples cinnamon
- raisins cinnamon
- dried blueberries
- dried strawberries
- dried peaches or apricots
- Put 1 cup of the oats in a blender or food processor and blend until fine.
- Combine with the other 4 cups of oats, the salt, sugar, and milk powder.
- At this point, portion out into 1 cup servings in ziploc bags, and add the mix ins if you're using.
- By mixing the add ins AFTER portioning, you can do more varieties
To make the oatmeal
- Add the contents of a bag into a bowl, along with 1- 1.5 cups of water (depending on how you like it)
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until cooked.