Scalloped potatoes are a great side dish to any meal. Thinly sliced potatoes, layered with onion, flour, seasonings and butter, baked, and topped with a little cheese… ready to devour!
Doesn’t this look like a yummy home cooked meal? Good. It was DELICIOUS. I put these scalloped potatoes in the oven, seasoned the steaks, prepped the veggies, then hung out on the couch for a bit.
Gave the steaks to The Husband for grilling, and by the time they were done and rested, we were ready to serve up some dinner!
Scalloped potatoes is one of those dishes that you can fancy ALL the way up, or take it back to basic and just let the flavors of the potatoes and onion shine.
The cool thing is – because the flour is in between the layers, as it cooks, the milk and butter make a kind of white sauce FOR you, no need to make it separately and pour over!
I’ve made this a million times. Sometimes I’ll use hot chicken broth instead of milk (and cut back on the salt in between the layers), and other times I’ll put cheese in the layers.
You really can make this any way you like. How about BACON in there? (there’s always room for bacon in my life) Perhaps some blue cheese? I did use a mandolin to slice my potatoes, but a good sharp knife will do the trick.
Want more sides? Of course you do!
So… what do you think?
Easy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1.5 lb potatoes about 5 medium - you need 3 cups of sliced potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbs butter cubed (plus more for greasing dish)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
Optional, for garnish
- 1 Tbs chopped parsley
- Peel the potatoes, then using a mandolin, or sharp knife - do a medium slice on your potatoes. They should be between a quarter and a half inch thick).
- Slice the onions thinly.
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish, and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Layer the potatoes, onions, flour, salt and pepper, about 3 times. On the last layer - add the butter.
- Heat the milk til it's hot, but not boiling.
Pour the milk over the top of the dish.
Top with cheese.
Bake until potatoes are tender (about 50 minutes).
Uncover and bake until top browns
- Remove from the oven, and let it stand while the sauce thickens.
- Devour (and hide the leftovers for yourself).