Delicious homemade Alfredo sauce is the key to these Florentine Lasagna Rolls. Spinach, garlic and cheese are all winners for this weeknight dinner!
2017 note: I plan to redo and rephotograph this post! It’s here in original “glory” because it’s super yummy. Watch this space!!
Not a new concept, but definitely a yummy one. I made this on a Sunday, and left it in the fridge for baking on Monday night. Monday nights are just hectic for no other reason that it’s the first night of the week after a leisurely weekend, so things are just HARDER. Having this waiting to be baked in the fridge was a huge time saver, and I was able to do other things instead of prepping and cooking dinner. Even the almost-3-year-old ate this, happily. Win!
The key here has to be the homemade alfredo sauce. Seriously, don’t cheat and use one from a jar. I will be very disappointed in you! Ha, just kidding. Do what you must, but at the end of the day – the homemade sauce is what sends this dish into the fabulous zone. Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
Want more pasta? Of course you do!
Florentine Lasagna Rolls
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1.5 cups baby spinach chopped finely.
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt pepper to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1.5 cups shredded Mozzarella or cheese of your choice
- Alfredo Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups half and half or milk (if you use milk bump the cream cheese up an ounce.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano basil, or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (more to taste)
- Make the sauce first:
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half & half or milk.
- Season with salt and pepper and oregano, bring to a simmer (don’t boil!)and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens about 15 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until melted and blended.
- Set aside
- Next steps
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water and dry them a little on a paper towel to make them easier to work with
- While the noodles cook, combine the chicken, spinach, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- To assemble
- Spread about half a cup of the alfredo sauce in your baking dish (I used an 8 x 8 one, would use a bigger one next time)
- Onto each noodle, spread filling, sauce and some mozzarella, and roll up.
- Place each one seam side down into your baking dish.
- Top with remaining alfredo sauce, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for around 30 minutes – until heated through and cheese is bubbling.
- Serve to your starving and whining family (who will begin their campaign for dinner!! now!! hungry!! as soon as they smell the sauce cooking)