I think every cuisine has a “bread” that they’re known for. The Greeks have Pita, the Native Americans have Fry Bread, the French have Baguettes, and the Indian people…. well they have Naan. (actually Naan originated in Iran, and naan actually just means “bread”).
The Naan is an oven baked flat bread, that can be used to scoop up food, as an accompaniment to a dish, or it can even be stuffed. My absolute favorite to order is the Amritsari Naan because it’s stuffed with mashed potatoes, onion and a bunch of yummy spices. My go-to at home, has to be garlic naan.
This is a really quick recipe, and makes about 8 good sized naan which goes great with these dishes:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp honey
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened yogurt (or sour cream)
- 4 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp yeast
- 4 Tbs butter melted and mixed with
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat the sour cream for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- Add the sour cream, with the other ingredients to a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook, and set to a medium speed.
- After 5 minutes, check your dough. It should be sticky (ie, you touch it and you get some stuck on your finger), but shouldn’t stick to the sides at all. If it does, add flour until you get the right stickiness. If it’s not sticky at all, add water.
- Continue kneading (with the dough hook) for another 5 minutes.
- Take the dough out onto a lightly floured
- , and divide into 8 pieces.
- Turn each piece over in the flour, put on a floured tray, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pizza stone in your oven to 500°F.
- Flatten each piece of dough into a round or tear drop shape (you won’t need a rolling pin, the dough will be very soft and easily pliable)
- Wet your hands, then turn each naan briefly in your hands, and place it on the stone.
- Bake for about 4-6 minutes. The bottom should be a light brown.
- Brown tops using the broiler, if you wish.
- Just before serving, brush the tops with the butter and garlic, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve warm