An easy way to add more homemade deliciousness to taco night with your very own, hot-off-the-pan corn tortillas!
Everyone has a tacos on Tuesday, right? Why not kick your weekly habit up a notch with these homemade corn tortillas? I have to admit – if given the choice between flour and corn tortillas, I almost ALWAYS opt for flour. Something about store-bought corn tortillas didn’t strike me as terribly fabulous. Rubbery, and kind of flavorless – I didn’t see the point. Turns out I was missing out – only because I hadn’t yet attempted to make my own! More of a technique than a complicated recipe, these have a lovely pronounced corn flavor to complete your meal. Flour tortilla lovers – try these corn tortillas at home and let me know if you are a convert, like me!
Some equipment notes:
- You don’t NEED a tortilla press for this, but it sure is handy and makes quick work out of the task of rolling them out.
- A tortilla warmer is also pretty handy – it keeps them warm, and makes them soft and pliable, ready to use. If you don’t have one, a towel will work just fine – just keep them covered.
Need a taco recipe? Look at these Spicy Chicken Soft Tacos!
Homemade Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups instant yellow corn masa flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups hot water
- In a large bowl, add the corn masa and the salt and mix well.
- Add the hot water, and mix into a soft dough (it should be about as firm as cookie dough).
- Add more water if needed.
- Line a tortilla press with a zip lock bag (I just cut down the sides)
- Divide the dough into roughly 20 dough balls
- Place 1 ball onto the lined tortilla press and .... press.
- Carefully remove the tortilla from the press, and add to a medium hot cast iron skillet.
- Let the tortilla cook about 30 seconds, until the edges look like they're drying... then flip
- Cook a further 45-60 seconds, then flip again - the tortilla will puff up.
- Add tortilla to a towel line tortilla warmer.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese and Potato Gözleme from Cook’s Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Lachha Paratha – Indian Layered Flatbread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Masala Poli – Spicy Potato Masala Stuffed Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha’s Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas – Griddle Fried Cottage Cheese Flatbread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Paruppu Poorana Poli from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Peanut Butter and Apple Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli – Breakfast Flatbread from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gözleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes with a Bacon & Cheese Filling from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Vitumbua (Coconut Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeast Raised Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.