Although, the quote says “Real men don’t each quiche”, I’m here to prove that just isn’t true! Well, especially when you just call it “ham, cheese and egg pie” This was made because of a few factors. 1) I saw it on Pinterest, and had to make it, 2) I won a $25 gift card to King Arthur Flour (THANKS Lindsay!) and used it to buy mini tart pans), 3) I had all the ingredients on hand These were good for a quick dinner, and were even better the next day as breakfast. I’m going to try a different filling next time (broccoli may well feature). Enjoy!
Individual Ham & Cheese Quiches
- 15 oz package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust 2 crusts, or make your own
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peppered or smoked cooked ham
- 2 Tbs thinly sliced green onion or 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half light cream, or milk
- Fresh herb springs such as basil, oregano or thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Let piecrusts stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- Divide each piecrust into four equal sections (eight sections total). Press sections of piecrust onto the bottom and up the sides of eight, 4-inch fluted individual tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim excess dough from top of pans.
- Line each pastry shell with a double thickness of foil, (or use pie weights). Place pans on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 2 to 3 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine shredded cheese, red pepper, ham, green onion, flour, seasoning, salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly among pastry shells.
- In the same bowl beat together eggs and half-and-half. Pour egg mixture over filling mixture in each pastry shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To make one large quiche
- Line a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom with one piecrust (reserve remaining piecrust for another use). Line with double thickness of foil. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 7 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8 to 9 minutes longer or until pastry is set, dry and lightly browned. Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly in shell. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Bake in 325 degrees F oven for 30 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.