Ever see Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares? In one of them, there are twin guys who own a restaurant and stand out the front shouting “HOMEMADE MEATBALLS” to the traffic. I keep hearing those guys in my head when I think about this recipe… In the interest of streamlining my evenings, I spent a few hours making these for the freezer. Most of them even made it in there! These are awesome for a quick meal (throw them in some marinara sauce, cook some pasta and HELLO DINNER!)
- Shape into 1- to 1 1/2-inch meatballs, around each piece of frozen mozzarella. Seal meatballs well to keep cheese from oozing out. (I didn’t do so awesome at this)
- Place meatballs close together on lightly greased broiler pans or rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool meatballs. See … mine oozed!!
- Flash freeze, then add them to a ziplock bag ready for whenever you need 6, 12 or 20 of them!
- 6 lb lean ground beef
- 15 sticks of mozzarella string cheese
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup onion diced finely
- 2 Tbs garlic minced
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Remove string cheese from wrappers and cut each string into 8 equal pieces. Place in a large bowl or 1 gallon freezer bag and freeze until it is time to form meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Using your hands, thoroughly combine beef, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.