A delicious and spicy-sweet combo, this ancho rub takes your grilled steaks to a whole other level of yum. Rub it on, let them sit, and grill to perfection.
Yay for grilling! I want to share with you a rub that The Husband makes when we have ribeyes. Sure, you can use “Steak Seasoning” or any of the rubs you can buy from the grocery store, but when you just want to mix it up, or feel good about making your own… give this a go.
It’s different to any I’ve tried from a jar – it’s slightly spicy/sweet (the brown sugar gives it a great little crust) it is amazing on chicken too.
Ancho Rubbed Ribeye Steaks
- 1 Tbs ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 8-10 oz ribeye steaks about 1 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix together chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano in a small bowl.
- Brush steaks on both sides with olive oil and rub them with the spice mixture.
- Let them sit at room temperature 15-30 minutes before cooking.
- Cook steaks directly over high heat in covered grill about 3-4 minutes per side, turning only once.
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest 3-5 minutes.
Source: Adapted from Weber’s Way to Grill