I’ve been making a concerted effort to meal plan, and to not visit the grocery store more than once every two weeks. Nearing grocery shop day, I just want to use up what I have, and start fresh again the next week. A quick inventory of the fridge and pantry for a quick dinner, and this dish was born. It pulls together super fast if you use rice that you have leftover, or have in your freezer waiting to be used in just this way. Even the husband liked this, and didn’t comment on the lack of meat. WIN.
One Skillet: Vegetables, Black Beans & Rice
- 1 Tbs oil
- 3 medium zucchini sliced, or cubed
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tsp italian seasoning to taste
- 14 oz can black beans drained, rinsed
- 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups white or brown rice cooked
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, red pepper and onion, cook 5 minutes, or until browned/charred nicely.
- Sprinkle the italian seasoning over the vegetables, then a
- dd garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add beans, tomatoes and water.
- Add rice and combine together.
- Simmer for a few minutes, taste, season with salt/pepper (to taste)