TheFoodCritic had an early morning wake up ahead of him (had to leave the house at 1am to head to Austin), and I needed to get dinner on the table FAST when we got home from work so he could eat, shower and head off to bed. This is a quick, easy and super tasty sauce, and I managed to rustle this one up in under 30 minutes. I added some diced, cooked chicken to bump up the protein. It was a hit!
Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 12 oz dried pasta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp dried basil use more or less to taste
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano use more or less to taste
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt more or less to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup of half&half
- 2 cups of cooked diced chicken breast
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Begin by cooking the pasta til al dente.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan (I used my dutch oven) and heat to a medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Add the tomatoes,
- basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil (let the tomatoes reduce down a little).
- Remove from heat and stir in the half and half
- Blend, using a stick/immersion blender or leave as is for a chunkier sauce
- Combine cooked pasta and sauce.
- Divide up into bowls, add chicken and grated parmesan, and serve