This is a quick fix dinner – I have the dressing hanging out in the fridge ahead of time, and sometimes cook the chicken ahead as well. Easy to throw together on a weeknight, and has enough “stuff” in it to satisfy even the hungriest of Husbands.
Southwestern Chicken Salad (with Chipotle Ranch Dressing)
SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN SALAD (WITH CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , chopped into bite sized pieces
- Olive oil
For the Chipotle Ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream reduced fat works just fine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 Tbs sauce from a can of chipotle chilis in adobo
For the Rub
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
For the salad
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce torn into bite sized pieces
- 14 oz can black beans drained/rinsed
- 14 oz can of sweet corn drained/rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into stick
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into sticks
- cheddar cheese to taste
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk to a bowl, and whisk until well-combined. If the dressing is too thick, add a bit more buttermilk. If it’s too thin, add a bit more mayo and sour cream. Just eyeball it, it’s a dressing – a little of this, a little of that is the perfect way to make it to your tastes.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and
- chipotle sauce and stir well. If you like more heat, you can add more sauce (or you can add one or half of one of the peppers, finely chopped)
- Taste test! When the dressing tastes good – put it in the fridge for an hour or two for all the flavors blend. I make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. It will be good for about a week.
- Sprinkle the rub on the chicken and ... well, rub it in.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet, and add the chicken. Cook until almost done, then add a little water to the skillet. Makes the chicken juicy and delicious. Set aside.
- Add the salad ingredients to a bowl, and combine.
- Add the dressing (or just let your family do their own).
- Top with chicken