This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Butternut squash features in these yummy Banana Muffins! Perfect for any time of year, they use some healthy substitutions to make these great for the whole family.
OH MY GOSH can it please be FALL already? I know some parts of the country people are digging out the boots, and the gorgeous sweaters, and grabbing their pumpkin spice lattes (I’m not judging), and breathing in the fresh fall air enjoying the lack of heat.
I am not so lucky, it’s been in the 100s the past week still, and I’m OVER IT. I’m ready for some cool breezes, being able to walk the dog while it’s still light out, and I have some amazing shirts just dying to be worn (but it’s still too hot).
Don’t feel too sorry for me (no one else does) – I know as we move towards the end of the year and snowmageddon keeps many of you inside, I won’t be feeling that in Phoenix, but I DO wish we had a little balance.
Because I want to BAKE!!Love these? ME TOO!! Tweet it!!
If you know me at all, you’ll know I do what I want. And…I wanted muffins!! I didn’t want them to be too sweet, and I wanted to involve fruit and or vegetables in an attempt to feel like it was okay to eat
6 3 of them…
These Butternut Squash Muffins were born, after I found some pureed butternut squash in the freezer, and I spotted some applesauce in the snack drawer.
Aren’t you glad I throw things in bowls and bake em? (Then do it 4 more times to perfect it, and share the recipe with you?)
You’re so welcome.
Check out the ingredients for Butternut Squash Muffins:
Banana muffins with applesauce
Replacing half the oil with applesauce reduces the fat content of these muffins, and adds a delicious flavor and moistness (yes I just said moistness) to the finished product. Yum!
- When adding the dry ingredients to the wet, don’t over mix, it makes muffins tough.
- Feel free to sub pumpkin puree for the butternut squash puree. You do you, okay?
- Make a mix of full sized and bite sized muffins, just bake them slightly less (see recipe)
- Replace the whole wheat flour with all white if that is what you have!
Butternut Squash Banana Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 cup butternut squash cooked
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour (plain)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together banana, butternut squash, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and oil, until well blended (I use my stand mixer for this).
- In separate mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and the flours.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix only until batter forms (don't over mix, it makes muffins tough).
- Pour into greased baking cups or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350. Regular size muffins for 16-18 minutes. Mini muffins for 13-15 minutes.