A one-bowl wonder, this easy but rich and decadent Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake will satisfy chocolate lovers the world over!
Okay folks, there is nothing, I say NOTHING not to love about this Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake! One bowl. Pour it in a bundt pan. Bake it. Decorate it to suit any occasion! Change it up by adding different types of frosting, or sprinkles, or try your hand at writing a message on the top? You do you, boo.This Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake #recipe is #decadent and has tons of #chocolate! Click To Tweet
Ever heard the saying “if I’d known you were coming, I’d have baked a cake”? No? Okay, we might have to attribute that one to my mother then. Or Sesame Street. Whatever.
ANYWAY – the reason I say that is because you can literally make this super fast with about an hour’s notice of hearing guests are arriving. Or if you are crap like me, and forget to make your husband and/or children birthday cakes. Not that I’ve ever done that. Thank you for not clicking on the links showing evidence of that.
However TODAY? Today is mine and the Husband’s wedding anniversary. 10 years ago… we got hitched. So yay. Here’s some cake?
This cake is PERFECT for whipping up any time, I promise. It will keep for about a week in a covered plastic container, if it actually lasts that long.
Ways to personalize this Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup booze. Decrease the amount of hot water to make up for it.
- Use red and green sprinkles for Christmas
- Grab some heart decorations and make this for your sweetheart in February
- Add shaved white or dark chocolate (or both) in place of sprinkles
Want more dessert? Of course you do!
Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Thoroughly grease a bundt pan (mine is a 12 cup), and set aside.
- Add all cake ingredients to a large bowl, (you can use your stand mixer if you must) and mix until well blended using a hand mixer. The batter will be thick!
- Bake for an hour (check at 50 mins) or until the cake springs back when touched lightly with a finger.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and hot water.
- Cook, stirring often over a medium heat until thickened slightly.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and butter, and stir until the butter melts.
- Set your cake over a rack with something to catch all the drips! Pour frosting over your Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake.
- Let the frosting set a little before adding sprinkles (so they don’t all fall off).
- Let set for at least an hour.
Source: adapted from here