This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A secret ingredient features in this homemade cracked pepper baked beans recipe, perfect as a side while grilling out, or as a main dish with some cornbread.
I love me some baked beans as a side with some ribs and some cornbread, potato salad… ya know, a typical Sunday afternoon meal in summer.
These beans are a little different because I used peppered steak jerky in mine. Much like a jerky, although not a jerky, these steak snacks are chewy and flavorful.
I like the idea of making beans from scratch (okay, I didn’t use dried beans and cook my own, but I also didn’t open a can of baked beans, either!). The smell of these babies cooking on the stove was phenomenal.
I think they’d be a great addition to our meals while camping in the woods too! No need for anything other than some skillet cornbread, and we’d have a hearty meal, easily! Seriously, these things take only around an hour to make, and most of that time is hands off. My favorite!
Want more delicious sides?
- Grilled Zucchini with Lime – kick your grilled veggie game up a notch!
- Grilled Vegetable Salad with Tarragon Dressing
- Bacon, Parmesan & Arugula Potato Salad
- Caprese Orzo Salad (Basil Tomato Mozzarella)
- Summery White Bean Salad
- Southwestern Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
- Easy Coleslaw (Homemade Coleslaw Dressing Recipe)
- Kale Salad Recipe (with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette)
- Arugula Salad (with Lemon Vinaigrette)
- Roasted Beet Salad with Feta & Walnuts
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on Kylee Cooks, leave a comment and rating – I truly love to hear from you!
Find me on Pinterest, Facebook & Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Cracked Pepper Steak Baked Beans
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced finely)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ large red bell pepper (diced finely)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (diced finely (optional, omit if you don’t like heat))
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 2.85 oz beef jerky (Cracked Pepper flavor, sliced into ribbons)
- 4 Tbs molasses
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 3 15 oz cans pinto beans ((drained and rinsed))
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapeno until softened.
- Add stock, Colman Steak Snacks, molasses, cumin and beans.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for an hour, stirring often.
- Uncover and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced (15-20 minutes).
- Taste for seasoning and adjust using salt/pepper or extra molasses and cumin if you prefer.
- If your “gravy” isn’t thick enough, remove a small amount of the liquid, and blend it with cornstarch. Mix the cornstarch mixture back into the beans and cook until thickened.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Review