Skip the cans, and make your own cream of chicken soup. Perfect for using in recipes that call for it, and a lot healthier.
While I’m all about convenience and making meals fast, there are a few shortcuts that I prefer not to make.
However, cutting out all the recipes that involve Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup etc would be a shame (because some of them are awesome comfort foods), especially when there is a healthier way to achieve the same result!
I make double batches of this, and freeze in 1.5 Cup portions – so I have it on hand whenever I need it.
Simple ingredients (that are easily pronounced, and you probably already have!)
Note: This can be made vegetarian by subbing chicken broth for vegetable broth (do I get an award for stating the obvious, or something?)
Use Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup in these recipes:
Check out my other homemade pantry staples!!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced very fine
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 cups milk divided
- 3/4 cup flour
- In medium-sized saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the together the broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings and bring to the boil.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour and add while whisking the
- boiling mixture and continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cool, and use as directed in your favourite recipe
- Cool, and freeze in 1.5 cup portions (I do this in plastic freezer bags and freeze them flat for easier thawing)