This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Flat Roasted Chicken with Tiny Potatoes
Want more chicken? (Of course you do)
- 3-3.5 lb chicken whole
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes (I used a mix of gold, red and purple)
- 1 Tbs salted butter melted
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme minced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spatchcock your chicken - using kitchen scissors, cut the backbone out of the chicken. (To flatten the breast you'll need to cut through the cartilage).
- Season the cavity with salt and pepper, then transfer the chicken to a cast iron skillet laying the chicken breast side-up.
- Generously season the skin with more salt and pepper.
- Toss the potatoes in a bowl with melted butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper, then arrange them around the chicken in the skillet.
- Roast the chicken 30 to 45 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the the thigh reads 165 F
- Check after about 20 minutes, and toss the potatoes around
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and sprinkle with the thyme and zest, and drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Allow the chicken to rest 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.
Source: Barely adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook