This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Need an easy and TASTY appetizer or light meal? I’ve got you covered! I combine grilled onions, blue cheese and California Prunes in this delicious combination of salty and sweet!
I’m kind of in love with flatbread pizza these days. Super simple, quality ingredients always seem to make the BEST meals. The fact that that I can make this in less than 20 minutes, is an even bigger bonus. Honestly, the most labor intensive part of this is getting the onions grilled – and if you do that ahead (or spend the time caramelizing them), you can do this in 10 minutes!
As a mama, I can’t let my family eat pizza every night, but I can definitely get behind serving this particular kind because adding California prunes boosts the nutrient factor.
Move over pepperoni! Just one serving of prunes has 3 grams of fiber, no fat, sodium or cholesterol. That, plus the polyphenols (antioxidants) help add protection for the body against heart, eye, memory and immune system issues. SOLD!
And prunes are DELICIOUS.
I mean…. how would you like to sit down to this?
Why this works: I love a sweet/salty combination. Both the prunes and the grilled onions are sweet without being sugary, paired with salty blue cheese crumbles.
Plus I added garlic. So …. maybe don’t serve this on a date night. Garlic, onions and blue cheese? I dunno – you do you…
Want a bite?
I wasn’t kidding about how easy this is – look at these simple ingredients!
Easy visual instructions for Grilled Onion, Blue Cheese & Prune Flatbread
- 99% of the US supply of prunes, and 40% of the world’s supply are grown in California
- A prune plum tree produces up to 300lb of fruit. It takes 3lb of fresh fruit to make 1lb dried
- When a labor shortage hit California in 1905, a farmer tried using monkeys to harvest. Organized into gangs of 50, the monkeys picked the prune plums well…. but ate them all!
- Important compounds in California prunes can help regulate, support and protect your health
- Whether whole, diced or pureed, California prunes add natural sweetness and moisture to any savory or sweet creation!
Check them out on social media!
- In a pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the sliced onions and salt cook over low heat (don’t burn) until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Combine the olive oil and garlic and brush the flatbreads with the mixture.
- Add the mozzarella, blue cheese, and some grilled onions (save the rest for another use), and top with diced California prunes
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve immediately.