Sometimes dinner has to happen about 30 minutes after I walk in the door. With a 2.5year old and a 4 (is it 5 now? I forget) month old, and working full time, this can be somewhat of a challenge.
One Pot Spiced Chicken with Toasted Couscous
- 1 1/2 cups israeli couscous
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts – cut into small pieces
- 4 inch carrots peeled and cut into 1/2coins
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley for garnish or 1 tsp fresh
- In large skillet, or dutch oven, dry toast the couscous over a medium heat, until golden brown.
- Keep a close eye on it because it can happen really fast and burn!
- Remove couscous to a plate.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the couscous back to the pan, along with all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, and most of the liquid has been absorbed.