This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
PICTURE COMING SOON!! With all the pumpkin recipes around, I wanted to make something NOT baked, and still use up the pumpkin I had in the cupboard. I threw this together after dinner one night, and put it in the crock-pot. Woke up to a delicious smell throughout the house. Of course, I had to have chili for breakfast. Don’t judge. I froze portions of this for eating on a night where cooking dinner was just not going to happen. There really is nothing better than when dinner time rolls around and you can pull something out of the freezer and have a good home cooked meal available with minimal input from you. Also good to have around when extra guests show up!
- 1 Tbs olive oil divided
- 1 lb ground turkey can use ground chicken too if you want
- Salt and pepper to season meat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced (I used a red one)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 Tbs prepared chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt I used Lawry's seasoned salt
- 4 ounce can diced jalapenos
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 15-oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed,
- 1 15-oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- Toppings for garnish
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large heavy frying pan, add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper.
- Add fully cooked turkey to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the frying pan, then add the onion and bell pepper and cook about 3 minutes, until the onion and pepper is just starting to soften.
- Add seasonings and diced jalapenos and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Put the onion mixture into the crockpot, then deglaze the pan with the beef broth and add that to the crockpot.
- Add beans, pumpkin and tomatoes to the crockpot and stir to blend all the ingredients.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours (or on low for 8-10 hours).
- Serve hot, topped with your desired toppings.