This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A deliciously spiced, filling soup, packed with bacon, andouille sausage and rice – this Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup is a stick-to-your-ribs soon-to-be favorite!
Phoenix is so unusually cold this year that at work, our DC office is holding a very tongue-in-cheek (they deny this) COAT DRIVE for those of us freezing in Arizona. Very funny, DC, very funny.
With the cold comes a major need for warming soups, stews and other stick to your ribs fare. I struggle with making stews during the week, but this soup is PERFECT for a weeknight. Can be done in less than 30 minutes. AND it’s delicious. I actually packed an entire QUART of it for my lunch – because, I will probably have to share when I heat it up in the kitchen at work.
Cajun Food – what IS that?!
I’m not going to pretend I’m an expert at all – but as I understand it, Cajun food is very well seasoned, a bit spicy for some, and usually involves garlic. I typically make soups with onion, celery and carrots – but in Cajun cooking – the carrots are replaced by red peppers. Oh! and they love green onions. Which is lucky, because so do I!
Here’s what else I have in this soup:
Make ahead? Freeze?
This is GREAT to make ahead, and actually tastes better the next day. The recipe makes 3 quarts, and freezes very well.
I’d love to hear how you beat the winter blues – leave me a comment and tell me what kind of food you eat when it’s this cold!
Want more soup? Of course you do!
Quick Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup with Andouille
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 slices bacon chopped roughly
- 1 1/2 cups onion chopped (1 medium)
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- ½ cup red peppers diced
- 6 oz andouille sausage (2 links sliced)
- 15 oz dark red kidney beans canned - drained/rincsed
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Veetee Dine In Whole Grain Brown Rice (1-2 cups cooked brown rice)
- 4 stalks green onion sliced thinly (divided)
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers and sliced andouille and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, stock, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and half the sliced green onions, and simmer 5 more minutes (the rice will thicken the soup).
- Test for seasoning – adjust if necessary.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with green onions.