This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A deliciously spiced, filling soup, packed with bacon, andouille sausage and rice – this Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup is a stick-to-your-ribs soon-to-be favorite!
Phoenix is so unusually cold this year that at work, our DC office is holding a very tongue-in-cheek (they deny this) COAT DRIVE for those of us freezing in Arizona. Very funny, DC, very funny.
With the cold comes a major need for warming soups, stews and other stick to your ribs fare. I struggle with making stews during the week, but this soup is PERFECT for a weeknight. Can be done in less than 30 minutes. AND it’s delicious. I actually packed an entire QUART of it for my lunch – because, I will probably have to share when I heat it up in the kitchen at work.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup with Andouille Sausage #recipe #kyleecooks #soup #homemade #yum” quote=”Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup with Andouille Sausage #recipe #kyleecooks #soup #homemade #yum”]
Cajun Food – what IS that?!
I’m not going to pretend I’m an expert at all – but as I understand it, Cajun food is very well seasoned, a bit spicy for some, and usually involves garlic. I typically make soups with onion, celery and carrots – but in Cajun cooking – the carrots are replaced by red peppers. Oh! and they love green onions. Which is lucky, because so do I!
Veetee Dine In
I’m delighted to be working with Veetee Dine In Rice again. So is my husband! He loves everything I’ve ever made using the products, and honestly – so have I. I love the convenience of them – perfectly cooked rice every time. For this dish I used Whole Grain Brown rice – but you could use ANY of the plain Veetee varieties, and this would turn out great. I just like the texture of brown rice for this.
Here’s what else I have in this soup:
Make ahead? Freeze?
This is GREAT to make ahead, and actually tastes better the next day. The recipe makes 3 quarts, and freezes very well.
I’d love to hear how you beat the winter blues – leave me a comment and tell me what kind of food you eat when it’s this cold!
Want more soup? Of course you do!
Quick Cajun Style Red Bean & Rice Soup with Andouille
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 slices bacon chopped roughly
- 1 1/2 cups onion chopped (1 medium)
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- ½ cup red peppers diced
- 6 oz andouille sausage (2 links sliced)
- 15 oz dark red kidney beans canned - drained/rincsed
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 package Veetee Dine Wholegrain Brown Rice (1-2 cups cooked brown rice)
- 4 stalks green onion sliced thinly (divided)
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers and sliced andouille and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, stock, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and half the sliced green onions, and simmer 5 more minutes (the rice will thicken the soup).
- Test for seasoning – adjust if necessary.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with green onions.
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks
Pin for Later?