This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Zesty, crispy crusted chicken breasts that have been dipped in a spicy salsa, then baked to perfection.
Another weeknight meal involving crusted chicken breasts. But how delicious it was! Really simple, really tasty, really fast. A quick bath in a spicy, smooth salsa, then a dip in some crushed tortilla chips, panko breadcrumbs and some finely chopped cilantro… yuuuum!! [Tweet “Zesty, crispy crusted #chicken breasts dipped in a spicy #salsa #dinner #recipe @kyleecooks”] The Husband devoured it. H, my 4 year old had a few bites (that’s actually a win), and C… well, C is a committed vegetarian at 2 years old. Except for bacon (redeeming feature!). I loved that it was quick to prep, hands off after the dipping stage, and was able to clean up and make a few sides while it baked. I served this with some very non-related items, so I’m not even going to tell you what it was. I RECOMMEND serving with rice, and a vegetable side. OK, fine, I served it with tater tots and green beans. I’m only a little bit ashamed. This recipe can be modified for whatever protein you have – I think it would be pretty great as a topping for salmon, or cod, although I’d probably just brush the salsa on, and sprinkle the crumbs because fish is more delicate. Quicker cooking time though! Hope you enjoy… What more chicken dishes? Click here for my collection!
Salsa-Tortilla Crusted Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts skinless/boneless
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa (use a fairly smooth one with a kick I used one from Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 cup plain tortilla chips finely crushed
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish very finely chopped
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are about a half inch thick, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed tortilla chips (you want them to be crushed finely - about the same size crumbs as the panko), the panko, and fresh cilantro.
- Pour the salsa in one shallow dish, and the tortilla chip/panko in another.
- Coat each piece of chicken on both sides first in the salsa, then the tortilla/panko mixture.
- Place the chicken in a large oven safe dish, and bake at 400 for 20-30minutes (chicken should reach 165F).
- Remove from the oven, let it rest a few minutes, then slice diagonally.
- Garnish with lime wedges and extra cilantro.