This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A savory favorite using a few fun shortcuts! These Chicken & Rice Turnovers are quick to make and popular with the whole family!
Only a couple of weeks left until Christmas! I’m scrambling most nights (and weekends too) to put a delicious meal on the table without too much effort. I threw these together very quickly using pantry staples, and some shortcuts.
We devoured these pretty quickly, and stored a few in the fridge for later – they actually taste pretty good cold, too!
[clickToTweet tweet=”Chicken & Rice Turnovers are quick to make and popular with everyone! @veeteeusa #ad #rice #recipe” quote=”Love these? ME TOO! Tweet alllll about it. Go on…”]
These Chicken & Rice Turnovers have a crisp and buttery crust, and are filled with creamy chicken, rice and vegetables. Bonus: you can eat them on the run! A quick salad (if you want a complete meal) and dinner (or lunch) is DONE!!
Look at these easy ingredients!
Some Veetee basmati rice, puff pastry, frozen vegetables, leftover chicken, some cream of chicken soup (make it yourself here), an egg yolk and some poppy seeds.
These Chicken & Rice Turnovers would be GREAT with some variations:
- switch out the vegetables for corn and beans – or use just peas if that’s what you have!
- top the pastries with sesame seeds instead of poppy seeds
- experiment with different flavored soups and seasonings
- Use fresh basil and sundried tomatoes for an Italian flair
VeeTee Dine In Basmati Rice. is a handy little shortcut I ALWAYS have this in the pantry for when I need it. It comes in VERY handy when I pull some indian chicken out of the freezer, or to make these little turnovers.
Want to see more recipes using VeeTee Dine In Rice? Of course you do!
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 package Veetee Dine In Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cups cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package puff pastry dough thawed for at least 20 minutes
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 Tbs poppy seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, rice, soup, and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out each puff pastry sheet into a large square.
- Divide each sheet into 4 equal sized pieces.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the filling onto each dough square. Fold over into a triangle, and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Brush the entire surface of each turnover with egg yolk, and sprinkle with poppy seeds (if using).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is a gorgeous golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool slightly.
Store any leftover filling in the fridge. VARIATIONS: • switch out the vegetables for corn and beans if that's what you have • top the pastries with sesame seeds instead of poppy seeds • experiment with different flavored soups and seasonings • Use fresh basil and sundried tomatoes for a more Italian flair