This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Full flavored, slow-cooked chicken pairs with black beans and homemade pico de gallo in these Mexican inspired rice bowls. Great for weeknights or any time!
I love rice bowls, who doesn’t? It’s a whole pile of deliciousness right there ready to be devoured.
With a hugely busy weekend ahead, I like to stock my fridge with things that we could make these bowls with, while we ran around doing a million and one things.
What kind of ingredients would you put in YOUR mexican inspired rice bowls? Reply below in the comments – I’d love to hear your ideas!
The chicken is cooked in a crockpot (woohoo!) with some enchilada sauce, and some seasonings, then is cooled, sliced and added to a bowl with rice, black beans, pico de gallo and some cotija cheese. I pour some leftover juice from the crockpot over the rice and chicken, but that’s MY ideal.
The glorious thing about making these bowls is – everyone can customize to their own tastes. You just provide some ingredients that will work well together, and people can add as little or as much as they like.
The Pico de Gallo
I whipped up a quick and delicious homemade pico de gallo. Fresh ingredients paired with slow-cooked meats makes the whole dish taste AMAZING.
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Slow Cooked Fiesta Chicken & Rice Bowls
For the Chicken
Pico de Gallo
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado cubed
- 14 oz can black beans
For the Chicken
- Blend the enchilada sauce, chillies, broth, cumin and salt in a bowl.
- Add the chicken to your slow cooker, cover with the onions.
- Pour the enchilada sauce mixture over the top of the chicken and onions, and move around gently to ensure the chicken is covered.
- Cover, and cook chicken in slow cooker on high for 3 hours, or low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool slightly. Reserve the sauce.
- Slice the chicken, ready for serving.
For the Pico de Gallo
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and test for seasoning (adjust if necessary)
- Cook the rice according to package directions. If desired, mix some of the reserved sauce from the chicken with rice.
- Heat black beans to desired temp.
- Build your bowl: Rice, black beans and chicken.
- Pour extra sauce over the top (if desired).
- Top with pico de gallo, cotija, avocado and extra lime wedges.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.