A simple side made special with the addition of lime zest and juice (and butter… ), these zesty citrus green beans are fantastic!
Another farmer’s market find – flat green beans. Known as Italian Flat beans, or Helda beans – depends where you are from! This could easily be made with any kind of green bean, I just happened to have a lot of these. Don’t you just love wandering the markets and picking up whatever fresh veggie looks good that day? I love seeing all the seasonal offerings and dreaming up ways to enjoy them. I really like simple side dishes, and usually don’t think of them as the star of the show. However, I think these zesty citrus green beans give the main dish a run for its money! We serve these a lot in summer – they go great with some grilled chicken, or even steak. Fish or shrimp would be great to pair with it too. I guess I covered all the proteins… wait! Pork! Yeah, pork too. Haha. This recipe can be adapted for all kinds of veggies, obviously. Carrots, peas, and broccoli would be awesome, right? Looking for other easy side dishes? Happy to help you out!! How about: Rosemary Glazed Carrots? Or Easy Scalloped Potatoes? Maybe some Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Shallots and Bacon? Perhaps a little Grilled Zucchini with Lime Salt, perhaps?
Citrus Green Beans
- 10-12 oz green beans sliced
- 1 oz butter
- zest and juice of half a lime
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, and add the green beans. Cook for around 5 minutes until desired done-ness is reached.
- Drain green beans in a colander, and add the butter to the pot and heat until melted. Add the zest and juice, and mix to combine.
- Add in the beans and stir.
- Serve immediately.