Zoodles. It’s where its (currently) at. This is a super easy (and very fast) weeknight dinner with spiralized zucchini, grilled chicken, roasted cherry tomatoes, pesto and basil. If only I’d had some fresh mozzarella on hand – this could have been called “Caprese Zoodles”.
I’m often slow to get on the bandwagon for new food trends, and I don’t always regret it. I have not yet tried baking with Biscoff Spread, but I DO regret not getting into quinoa sooner. My Mum is visiting from New Zealand, and she’s making huge efforts to eat healthier, exercise and be around for the boys’ weddings. So, she’s into low carb, healthy meals. She’s doing amazing, and I’m so proud of her and want to support her with this new healthy lifestyle.
So, how about “Zoodles”? Zoodles is just zucchini, cut into “noodles” that are supposed to replace pasta. I mean PLEASE. How can a zucchini replace actual PASTA? Truth? It can’t. But… I think they do a passable job, and the smug satisfaction of eating a bowl of these vs a big bowl of pasta = win. And, honestly – I don’t really even NEED to pretend they’re pasta – they’re delicious, regardless. You can use a fancy tool (Vegetti, Paderno, etc), or a mandolin, or even go low tech and use either a julienne cutter, or a … knife. Will take much longer, and that’s not really the goal for me, ever. I used a Vegetti Pro for this, and made pretty spirally zucchini noodles in about a minute. Here’s a quick weeknight dinner that we threw together on the fly. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!! This recipe serves 2, but is easily doubled, tripled, quadrupled!
It’s a great weeknight dinner – zucchini noodles take no time at all to cook, so you can have this on the table super fast. I call that a winner!
Want more weeknight dinners? (Of course you do!)
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken, Roasted Tomatoes and Pesto
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 medium zucchini cut into noodles
- 3 Tbs store bought pesto
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Toss the tomatoes with 1 tsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes for 10-12 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the garlic powder.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp olive oil in wok, or large skillet over medium-high heat
- Cook the chicken until golden brown (and 165F), and remove from pan.
- Add the zucchini "noodles" to the pan, and saute for 1-2 minutes (any more and they'll become mushy)
- Toss the zucchini with the pesto, add in the roasted tomatoes and the chicken, and serve