This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A quick, easy chocolate cake – baked in just 30 minutes, this homemade chocolate cake recipe is so simple but packed full of flavor!
Everyone needs to have a super fast, absolutely delicious but easy chocolate cake recipe in their arsenal.
I remember as a kid, my mother being all in a panic because we were having unexpected company over and she had nothing to serve them with their tea (oh the horror).
These days, if you come to my house unexpectedly, you will find yourself staring at Mt LaundryPile, marveling over my unwashed floors, and being horrified/amused (in roughly equal amounts) at the lack of pants on my children.
Hot tip: Don’t be unexpected company!
OR, if you are, call me 30 mins ahead and I MIGHT be pulling this little beauty out of the oven as you arrive. You’re welcome.Love this? Tweet it!!
How to make an easy chocolate cake (full recipe below)
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl
- Combine wet ingredients in another
- Add wet to dry, and mix thoroughly
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
I do love a good cake! But what I hate is when I get a chocolate cake that tastes of nothing. If you’re going to call yourself chocolate, then BE chocolatey. I want epic flavor, not just a brown colored cake crumb! This quick chocolate cake really does deliver a chocolatey punch!!
While using buttermilk makes for a super tender crumb, adding coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. DING DING DING – we have a winner, folks!
I’ll admit, this isn’t the prettiest of cakes (try photographing it… while licking buttercream off your fingers…) but WHO CARES?! Dig in and enjoy!
If my children have been really good, I might… oh never mind. No point in even continuing this sentence!
I kid, I kid…. if I’m feeling like being a super-mama, I might make this to be ready before I leave to go get them from school, and have it cooling on the counter as they walk through the door. That might be their favorite kind of day. I might also make them these Jammy Crumb Muffins or these Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. If they’re lucky!!
Quick Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
See? Simple! And all ingredients you probably have rattling around in your pantry and fridge. And if you don’t have buttermilk… well…
How to make your own buttermilk:
- We’re just going to combine milk and acid!
- Add 1 Tbs of lemon juice or white vinegar to each cup of milk you’re using (so for this, add 1.25 Tbs lemon juice to 1.25 cups milk)
What is your favorite quick recipe?
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe with Vanilla Buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment (alternatively, you can grease thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda)
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, coffee, melted butter and vanilla.
- Lightly beat the egg and add to the buttermilk mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk mixture.
- Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Pour batter into the greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and check for done-ness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake, it should come out clean, with no streaks of batter.
- Cool the cake (still in the pan) on a rack until completely cool before frosting with vanilla buttercream.
- Using an electric mixer, whip together the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cake liberally with buttercream.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.