This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Risotto in 17-25 minutes?! I’m in! This Garlic Parmesan Risotto Recipe may be the star of the show we call “dinner” in this easy side – it’s sure to please the whole family!
This is a repost from back in 2015 – it needed a fresh look and some updating. It’s still fabulous, and one of my favorite sides ever.
People regularly say to me that risotto is too hard, or too time-consuming and complicated – but see the ingredients below in a picture! It’s just olive oil, butter, onion, garlic, wine, arborio rice, stock, and cheese (and parsley if you want).
BUT – I’m not going to lie to you. This creamy risotto is hands on. You do have to stand there and stir, and add liquid, and stir, and monitor. However, this isn’t a 40 minute kind of deal, it’s 17-25 minutes, I promise. AND you can still multitask and cook your protein or other sides while you do this. Really you can.
It’s totally worth it, because, hi there – yummy carb side that is not pasta (we’re pasta’d out a little bit at our house – kids love it, but we’re over it for right now).
I love to make this during the week, but I REALLY love to make it for a weekend lunch. A little salad, a little chicken – and a pan of risotto, and we’re in business!!Risotto in 17-25 minutes?! I'm in! Garlic Parmesan Risotto may be the star of the show we call 'dinner' in this easy side - it's sure to please the whole family! #risotto #parmesan #sidedish #recipe #kyleecooksClick To Tweet
What to serve with this Garlic Parmesan Risotto?
We totally scarfed the entire pan of this with some Blue Cheese Topped Pork chops the other night. What you see on the plate is about 1/4 of the recipe.
What you don’t see is my husband grabbing a spoon to get every last grain from the pan before doing the dishes. I’m just keeping it real here.
Garlic Parmesan Risotto Recipe: Simple Ingredients
Kylee’s Notes for Garlic Parmesan Risotto:
- Use a white wine you like to drink (avoid products labeled “cooking wine” like the plague. Basically, if you don’t like the wine you use your cooking, you won’t like the end product!
- Don’t worry about precise measurements when pouring in the stock. It just needs to basically cover the surface of the rice
- Simmer gently – a rapid boil isn’t what we’re looking for here
- Use hot stock!! The heat helps maintain the starch content of the rice
- Stir REGULARLY but not CONSTANTLY
What to do with leftovers:
Ha!! I usually make a double batch, but 1 batch doesn’t leave me with much left over!! This creamy garlic parmesan risotto reheats beautifully, so you can pack it to take to work for lunch, or reheat it for a quick side with another meal later in the week. I HAVE frozen it before, but it is best eaten within a days right out of the fridge.
Want more sides? Of course you do!
Risotto in 17-25 minutes?! I’m in! Garlic Parmesan Risotto may be the star of the show we call “dinner” in this easy side – it’s sure to please the whole family!
- Begin by heating your chicken broth and keeping it warm.
- Add butter and oil to a large skillet over medium heat (I actually use a wok for risotto!).
- Add the onions and cook until just tender, then add the garlic. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the rice and toss to coat, (making sure oil gets onto every grain of rice if you can).
- Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
- Add 1 ladle full of the chicken broth and stir until it absorbs.
- Repeat this until you have used almost all of the broth - it should take about 17-25 minutes.
- When you add the last ladle of broth, also add the parsley, but only let the broth absorb halfway and then add your cheese.
- Let it absorb until it is creamy and thick, but not soupy.
- Serve, adding extra parmesan if desired.