This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Everyone needs to know how to make Guacamole, try my super easy (and tasty) recipe and grab your tortilla chips!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
This easy recipe shows you step by step how to make guacamole at home to RAVE reviews. My family loves guacamole and will use any excuse to dollop it on top of a recipe, or grab a bag of chips to snack on it.
There are many ways to make homemade Guacamole, and that is heavily influenced by where you live, what you grew up eating and in my case – what I have on hand.
Oftentimes, if I’m making Pico de Gallo I’ll just toss half a cup of that into some mashed up avocado and mix it around, and call it good.
The basic necessities you will need to make my favorite version of this is ripe avocados, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, hot sauce and lime juice.
I also throw in cumin, use lemon juice if that is what I have, and use a red onion if I don’t have a white or yellow one. It really is up to you to make this how you like it!
See the ingredients list below for how to choose an avocado.
How to use guacamole
- Use as a guacamole dip – pair with tortilla chips and veggie dippers.
- On top of tacos, nachos, enchiladas and quesadillas.
Why you’ll love this Easy Guacamole Recipe:
- It is super easy to make.
- You are in charge of what goes in (and what stays out!)
- Everyone loves this recipe!
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Use a potato masher to mash the avocado if you don’t have a molcajete (affiliate link). I love using the molcajete because it makes crushing up the avocados quick work. You can of course just use finely chopped avocados to begin with.
How to store guacamole
This is a tricky one! Because avocados turn brown very fast, you have to either eat this same day, or cover with plastic wrap and let the wrap cling to the surface of the guacamole, then refrigerate.
You can also gently add a layer of water to the surface and just cover the container.
Adding the removed pits of the avocado is said to slow the browning process, but I haven’t found this to work as well as the above methods.
- Avocados. Choose avocados that have a darker skin, and a bumpy surface. Try pressing your finger on the avocado – it should not be mushy or dented, just lightly soft. Harder avocados are not quite ready for guacamole, but will be in a few days! Let them hang out on the counter and just make this recipe again.
- Roma tomatoes. You can use any kind of tomato you like, I just prefer roma tomatoes for this purpose. You can leave the seeds in, or take them out. Leaving them in will give you more liquid in your guac.
- Onion. Dice this up as shown in the picture below. You’ll only need about half a cup.
- Jalapeno. You need to mince this pretty small. No one needs a mouth full of jalapeno unexpectedly. You can use more or less if you like.
- Garlic. Use a garlic press to get this handled.
- Cilantro. Use a little more or less depending on your tastes. If you hate cilantro, I am very sorry for you. But you could leave it out if you really had to. Cilantro haters exist!
- Lime. Lemon juice can be used if you prefer. Lime is my favorite, though! If you really want a pop of lime, grate a little zest into your bowl.
- Hot sauce. This is entirely optional, but provides a very subtle kick that I love. Any kind you like is good. I use Tabasco and Cholula interchangeable. Don’t tell my husband!
How to make simple guacamole:
This is an overview. The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
Begin by washing and cutting your ingredients. Scoop the avocado out of the skin, discard the pits. Dice the tomatoes, onion and mince the jalapeno and garlic. Chop the cilantro and get your lime ready to juice.
Using a molcajete or a bowl and fork, mash the avocados until they are broken down into small pieces. You can stop here and make it super chunky, or continue until the avocado is smooth. You choose!
Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro and squeeze the lime over the top.
Add in the hot sauce (if using), and salt/pepper.
Taste and check seasoning
Mix well. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. Maybe a little more salt, some extra lime or some more cilantro. You do you.
Chips, vegetables or with a spoon.
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Easy Guacamole Recipe (how to make from scratch!)
- Begin by washing and cutting your ingredients. Scoop the avocado out of the skin, discard the pits. Dice the tomatoes, onion and mince the jalapeno and garlic. Chop the cilantro and get your lime ready to juice.
- Using a molcajete or a bowl and fork, mash the avocados until they are broken down into small pieces.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro and squeeze the lime over the top.
- Add in the hot sauce (if using).