This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Cranberries, pecans and rosemary feature in this sweet and nutty brown rice pilaf. Easy to make, this is a fantastic side dish for holidays!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Hi! Isn’t this pretty? And so… FALL-ISH?! I’m still waiting to be able to wear cute boots, and sweaters, but nothing is stopping me from eating all the pumpkin things, dreaming about apple cider caramels, and thinking about yummy fall dishes.
Holidays are coming and with that all the cooking, baking, family, friends, celebrations and big meals. As well as unexpected guests!
This brown rice pilaf is nutty, slightly sweet and herb-y – due to the cranberries and rosemary and is GREAT to make ahead!
I first published this recipe in 2016, but I really thought it needed an upgrade in photos. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Want more sides? How about my Scalloped Potatoes Recipe? It has a video showing you exactly how to make it!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s a great and FAST side dish that you can pull together at the last-minute right before serving dinner!
- You can literally prep everything during the time it takes to heat up the rice. Got last-minute guests and need an extra side to make dinner stretch a little more? Make this!
- This can be served warm, cold or at room temperature. The option is entirely yours!
- You can precook the rice if you prefer, or even buy precooked brown rice to save even more time.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Brown Rice. This takes a bit longer to cook than white rice, but is perfect in this.
- Balsamic Vinegar. This is part of the dressing.
- Honey. This balances the vinegar in the dressing.
- Rosemary. You could use fresh thyme if you prefer.
- Cranberries. These are dried cranberries. I use the sweetened ones.
- Pecans. I use whole or halved pecans in this.
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Cook the rice
Add 6 cups of water to a large pot, and bring to a boil. Lightly salt the water.
Rinse the rice, then add the rice to the water. Reduce the heat and simmer at medium heat, uncovered, about 30 to 40 minutes until rice is tender.
Drain off any remaining cooking water and return the rice to the pot. Cover the pot and set aside 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
Make the dressing
Heat the balsamic vinegar and honey together, in a small bowl – microwave for 15 seconds (to make it easier to whisk the honey), whisk until combined.
Add the balsamic/honey mixture to the rice. Stir in the rosemary cranberries, and pecans.
Test for seasoning, and season with salt/pepper to taste.
Garnish, and serve.
More delicious sides:
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes. There’s a video on this one, showing how EASY this is to make!
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Risotto. Risotto in 17-25 minutes?! I’m in!
- Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan – YES PLEASE
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans. The BEST side for holidays! Fresh green bean bundles are easy to grab and soon to be family favorite!
- Glazed Carrots. A simple side dish, using the sweetness of brown sugar combined with fresh rosemary. These Rosemary Glazed Carrots are great for holidays or just a regular Tuesday!
- Red Lobster Biscuits. Soft, fluffy biscuits packed with cheddar cheese, and brushed with flavorful garlic butter after baking, these cheddar biscuits are dreamy!
- ALL SIDES
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Harvest Brown Rice Pilaf
- 4-5 pecans
- 3 sprigs rosmary
Cook the rice
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil, and lightly salt the water
- Rinse the brown rice, and add to the water.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Drain off any remaining cooking water and return the rice to the pot.
- Cover the pot and set aside 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside.
Make the Dressing
- Meanwhile, heat the balsamic vinegar and honey together, in a small bowl – microwave for 15 seconds, whisk until combined.
- Add the balsamic/honey mixture to the rice.
- Stir in the rosemary cranberries, and pecans.
- Test for seasoning, and season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Garnish, and serve.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.