This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Instant Pot Ribs are sweet, spicy and fall apart tender – in a fraction of the usual time! Just 25 minutes at high pressure, and a zap in a hot oven for 10 minutes, and dinner is SERVED!
I’m so pleased to share this recipe with you. In my family, ribs have been an all-day-in-the-oven-with-a-lot-of-basting kind of affair, which means, we can only really have them on weekends. Because they’re in the oven so long – you have to be committed to staying home, and checking on them regularly.
Well, not anymore!
[clickToTweet tweet=”#InstantPot #Ribs are sweet, spicy & fall apart tender – in a fraction of the usual time! ” quote=”#InstantPot #Ribs are sweet, spicy & fall apart tender – in a fraction of the usual time! “]
Just prep the ribs (remove the membrane on the back), rub them with your favorite (or my recipe) rub, and set them in your instant pot with a bit of water or chicken broth.
Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes (not including the time it needs to come to pressure), a quick zap in a super hot oven for 10 minutes – and you’ll have yourself some sweet, spicy, sticky, falling apart ribs for dinner. On a random Tuesday.
If you have pork shoulder, you could do my Instant Pot Pulled Pork, too!
How to remove the membrane from ribs:
Recipe notes for Instant Pot Ribs (Sweet & Spicy BBQ flavor)
- The rub recipe below will make DOUBLE what you’ll need. Store the remainder for the next time you need it.
- Chili powder refers to prepared chili powder (not pure ground chilis)
- Use a store bought sauce if you’re in a true rush!
Want more Instant Pot recipes? Of course you do!
Instant Pot Ribs (Sweet & Spicy BBQ flavor)
- 1 rack St Louis Style ribs
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 Tbs unsulfured molasses
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp prepared chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp course ground black pepper
- Combine all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over a medium heat until thickened, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn - don't leave it unattended.
- Take a dull knife, slide the tip under the membrane on the back of each rack, and loosen it. Take the corner of it and pry off the entire membrane from the back of the ribs.
- Mix the rub ingredients together until well blended.
- Rub evenly over both sides of the ribs, and massage into the meat.
- Cut your ribs to fit your instant pot (I cut a normal sized rack into three pieces)
- Place the trivet in the instant pot, pour in a cup of water or stock.
- Set the instant pot at high pressure, for 25 minutes.
- Close the lid, and the vent to seal.
- Heat oven to 450F
- When instant pot is done, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Remove the ribs from the instant pot and put them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or tinfoil.
- Baste ribs liberally with sauce, and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Baste with more sauce or serve sauce on the side.