Rich and hearty, this Red Lentil Dhal is great as a main dish! Warming delicious, and excellent to make ahead, or for a quick weeknight dinner!
With fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins this Spiced Red Lentil Dhal is low in calories and fat!
Happy New Year! This year is going to be HUGE! I have no idea how yet, but lots of change, and lots of new things to do and discover with my family.
Took myself a little break last week – I really really needed to step back for a minute and reflect on the 2017, and figure out what I’m doing for 2018. Sometimes a mental break is JUST what I need to renew and refresh.
I love making this Red Lentil Dhal – the health factors alone make it a winner, but the color and the complex flavors…. are kind awesome too.Rich & hearty, this Red Lentil Dhal is delicious, and excellent for a weeknights! #glutenfree Click To Tweet
It’s been pretty cold here in Phoenix (you know, for PHOENIX), and although I’m not all THAT busy, I really love having something warming and comforting in the fridge, ready to go. This Red Lentil Dhal fits the bill perfectly. Made ahead, it has time to develop really deep flavors, but is still awesome the same day of cooking.
I make a double or triple batch of this – my husband works nights, so takes a pile of this in his thermos for “lunch” at work. Vegetarian, Vegan AND Gluten-Free (not that we follow any of these dietary restrictions), which is helpful if you have friends or family who have these needs.
You might wonder why a girl from New Zealand, living in the USA is bringing you a typically Indian inspired dish? Well… New Zealand is a HUGE melting pot of cultures, so I actually grew up eating a wide variety of cuisines. From many Asian and Pacific countries, Auckland has them all! This just happens to be a personal favorite of mine!
Plus, it’s SO pretty in color, right?
I hope to bring you many more recipes for the foods I grew up eating in 2018!
Variations for Red Lentil Dhal:
- Add some ginger
- Add a bit of cayenne, boost the heat!
- Use brown lentils, or a blend of both red and brown for a different look
Want more healthy recipes? Of course you do!
Spiced Red Lentil Dhal
A rich, hearty dish, this Red Lentil Dhal is great as a main dish! Warming and delicious, and excellent to make ahead, or for a quick weeknight dinner!
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp whole mustard seeds
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds can sub ground cumin
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tbs cilantro chopped
- Combine spices in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high.
- Add the onion, and cook until softened. Add the garlic, and cook a minute longer.
- Add the spices and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
- Add the bay leaves, lentils and stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, and simmer, partially covered for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lentils should be tender and the liquid mostly absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cilantro.