This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Black bean stuffed sweet potatoes make for a delicious and filling meal!
This recipe features sweet potatoes that are cooked until tender and then stuffed with a flavorful mixture of black beans, corn, tomatoes, and spices, all with a southwestern twist.
Step by step photos and instructions below!
These tasty little stuffed sweet potatoes could be a meal in themselves, and often are! I originally intended these as a side dish, and while that might also work for you – one of these – in and of itself – is plenty as a main meal.
See this black bean salad?? The taste is so good – even the kids actually eat them. I use fire roasted tomatoes on purpose. The flavor is kicked up by the smokiness and they are just so convenient to have in the pantry. If you can’t find them, regular canned tomatoes are fine, I promise!!
Far from sacrificing taste & quality for convenience, I actually prefer the canned tomatoes vs using fresh in this recipe.
A simple meal that pleases… everyone? Say it ain’t so! Gluten-free, Vegetarian, and even VEGAN (if you leave off the sour cream) – everyone is happy, right?
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Perfect for a vegetarian dinner or meal prep option, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings and keep you fueled throughout the day.
- Super quick to make (if you use a microwave to cook your sweet potatoes, your time is about 15 minutes)
- With its bright colors and bold flavors, this dish is perfect for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet potatoes typically take about 45-60 minutes to bake in the oven, depending on their size and your desired level of tenderness.
It’s important to avoid cooking them at too high a temperature, as this can cause the sugars in the sweet potatoes to caramelize too quickly, resulting in burnt or overly crispy skins.
Yes, you can microwave sweet potatoes for a quicker cooking time. Pierce the sweet potato with a fork several times, then microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through.
Yes, you can prepare the sweet potatoes and filling ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat the sweet potatoes in the oven or microwave and then stuff with the filling.
Yes, you can substitute other types of beans such as kidney beans, pinto beans, or chickpeas for the black beans in the filling.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
How to bake sweet potatoes in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Scrub the sweet potatoes until clean.
- Using a fork, pierce each sweet potato a few times.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven, and let cool a few minutes before cutting open.
How to cook sweet potatoes in the microwave
- Scrub the sweet potatoes until clean.
- Using a fork, prick each sweet potato a few times.
- Cook in the microwave on high until they’re soft – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, and let cool a few minutes before cutting open.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
What to do with leftovers
Store the black bean salad and any leftover baked sweet potatoes separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Sweet Potatoes. Try to pick sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size for even cooking.
- Tomatoes. I love fire roasted tomatoes in this recipe. Regular tomatoes or fresh tomatoes work great too.
- Black Beans. I use canned black beans that I have drained and rinsed.
- Corn. This can be frozen (thawed) or canned corn (drained and rinsed).
- Cilantro and Lime.
- Optional Toppings: Guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges.
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Cook the Sweet Potatoes
Scrub the sweet potatoes the pierce them with a fork several times. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through. Alternatively, bake in the oven at 375°F for 45 minutes until they are tender and can easily pierced with a fork.
Make the Filling
Combine the tomatoes, black beans, corn and spices in a microwave safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup cilantro and the lime juice and mix thoroughly.
Assemble, and Eat
Cut deep into the sweet potatoes, and fill with the black bean salad.
Top with sour cream guacamole, and some extra cilantro.
More delicious vegetarian recipes:
- Roasted Squash Risotto. Finished with basil and parmesan, this is a hearty side dish or a delicious vegetarian main course. Either way, it’s delicious!
- Vegetarian Chili (Slow Cooker). Perfect for cool weather, packed with peppers, onions, beans, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes – this is a great crockpot chili!
- Spiced Red Lentil Dhal. Rich and hearty, this Red Lentil Dhal is great as a main dish! Warming delicious, and excellent to make ahead, or for a quick weeknight dinner!
- Easy Southwest Pasta Salad. Black beans, corn, red peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and red onions feature in this easy to make pasta salad. With the addition of the lime vinaigrette… oh, myyyyyyy.
- Crustless Quiche (Spinach, Tomato and Feta). Superfood spinach is the star of the show in this healthy low carb crustless quiche with tomatoes, onions, and feta. Delicious warm, room temp, or chilled – this is a versatile and nutritious dish!
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro (for garnish)
- Lime wedges
- Scrub the sweet potatoes the pierce them with a fork several times. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through. Alternatively, bake in the oven at 375°F for 45 minutes until they are tender and can easily pierced with a fork.
- Combine the tomatoes, black beans, corn and spices in a microwave safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup cilantro and the lime juice and mix thoroughly.
- Cut deep into the sweet potatoes, and fill with the black bean salad.
- Top with sour cream guacamole, and some extra cilantro.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This recipe was originally published in April of 2016. It was republished with updated photos in April of 2023.