I got some carnival squash in my produce basket and had to find a way to use them.
I have made this recipe a lot before (when I lived in a cooler climate), but since I have it, and it’s seasonal – here’s a really great recipe. The Husband polished it off and said “this is a make-again dish for sure”. High praise indeed.
Roasted Squash Risotto with Basil and Parmesan
- 2 cups roasted squash
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3-4 cups stock vege or chicken -either will do
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pan (I use my wok). Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender.
- Blend in the rice and cook for a few minutes, ensuring that all the rice grains are covered in the oil.
- Add 1 cup of stock to the pan, and cook, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring in stock 1 cup at a time until rice is tender and creamy.
- Fold in pumpkin/squash and basil and heat through.
- Serve topped with black pepper and parmesan.