This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These creamy chicken taquitos are the real deal. Easy to make, super delicious, make-ahead and freezer friendly.
I’m so thankful that my stepdaughter likes to cook. And likes to cook with ME! (Besides, having someone to help with dishes kind of rocks). Her butt shaking technique (v.important) while doing the garlic chopper thing is coming along nicely. EVERYONE knows that you can’t have chopped garlic without a little wiggle while you do it, right? (Also applies to smoothie making, but that is another post)
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 Tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp prepared chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 1-2 green onions chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (cheddar pepper jack, etc. would also be good)
- 10-12 6- inch flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Briefly heat the tortillas in the microwave to make them soft enough to roll easily, about 20-30 seconds.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. (You may be tempted to skip the sprinkle of salt, but it really adds a nice touch.)
- (To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill the assembled taquitos 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking time, until the filling is warmed through.)
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.