This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Chicken Fajita Casserole is a fantastic weeknight dinner, perfect for busy people and hungry families!
Step by step photos and instructions below!
Chicken Fajita Casserole
I love a good easy chicken recipe that I can throw in a casserole dish and bake while I do other things. This is one of our family favorites, right up there with King Ranch Chicken Casserole.
This is a fantastic weeknight dinner that everyone will gather around to devour, and beg for seconds.
It’s fairly healthy, since it is simply chicken and vegetables, and everyone loves the flavors.
To make this easier on myself, I prep ahead the night before or the morning before, and simply pop in the oven when I get home. This takes around 10 minutes to prep, and only 30 minutes to cook. You can preheat the oven, throw it in and then get on with setting the table or drinking wine.
I hope you love this as much as we all do!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Easy to make. It’s chicken and veggies, so is pretty quick and easy.
- Family friendly. You can add some heat with some crushed red peppers, or dial it down for family.
- Make ahead. Just prep the ingredients the night or morning before, and when you get home and are ready to eat, pop it in the oven until it’s done!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! After cooking, add to a freezer bag or container. Seal, label and freeze. Reheat thoroughly and enjoy.
This recipe is pretty low carb (around 5 net carbs per serving), so although I am not a nutrition expert, I would say this fits pretty well with a keto diet.
What to serve with Chicken Fajita Casserole
You can serve this “as is” or you could serve it in tortillas, or with a little Cilantro Lime Rice.
I have included step by step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Taco seasoning. Pick this up at the store, or make your own using my Taco Seasoning Recipe. You could also use a premade Fajita Seasoning and leave out the cumin (which is the main difference between Taco Seasoning and homemade Fajita Seasoning)
- Olive oil. I use light olive oil, but you can use any kind of oil you like – avocado and canola oil are both pretty neutral and work well for this.
- Chicken. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips. You could also use chicken tenders if you prefer. Your cook time may be less because tenders are usually thinner and smaller.
- Bell Peppers. Mix this up and do red, orange and yellow, or any combination you like.
- Red Onion. Slice this up the same size as the the bell peppers.
- Cilantro. You’ll need about a 1/2 cup of cilantro for this. Half before baking and half for after everything is cooked.
- Cheese. I use pepper jack, monterey jack or cheddar shredded cheese. I do prefer to grate my own, but the bagged stuff works just fine.
- Chopping Board
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil.
Mix the taco seasoning and cumin together in a small bowl.
Slice the peppers into strips, and the red onion into similar sized pieces.
For the chicken
Place the chicken in a large bowl and add half the olive oil the chicken, and mix it to coat each piece
Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the chicken as evenly as possible.
Place the chicken into the greased baking dish.
For the vegetables
In a large bowl, combine the sliced peppers and onions then add the remaining olive oil and spice blend, Mix well.
Arrange the vegetables on top of the chicken, and sprinkle with half the cilantro.
Sprinkle the cheese over the top evenly.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Chicken should be 165 degrees when tested with a thermometer.
Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve.
Cook up some black beans, or make Cilantro Lime Rice (plain rice is fine too). Grab some tortillas and wrap them up!
What to do with leftovers
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat until it is piping hot!
You could add a diced jalapeno into the bell peppers and onion mixture.
I use taco seasoning with added cumin. If you can find premade Fajita Seasoning, grab some!
Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F when tested with a digital thermometer in the thickest part.
More delicious casseroles:
- Tuna Noodle Casserole. This old-time classic will bring you right back to childhood. It is budget-friendly and easy to double for a crowd!
- Chicken Divan Casserole. A yummy Chicken Divan with broccoli, chicken, cheese and a crunchy topping. You will make this family favorite over and over!
- Chicken & Rice Casserole. A delicious recipe (super easy, and super cheesy) to make for your family. Using pantry staples this is a weeknight winner sure to make everyone want seconds!
- Meatball Casserole. This recipe has just FOUR ingredients and comes together fast. A super easy family dinner you can feel good about, coming right up!
- Crockpot Cowboy Casserole. Beef, potatoes, onions, kidney beans and CHEESE feature in this Crockpot Cowboy Casserole! Quick to prep, this is a real family pleaser!
- All Main Dish Recipes
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Mix the taco seasoning and cumin together in a small bowl.
- Slice the peppers into strips, and the red onion into similar sized pieces.
For the chicken
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and add half the olive oil the chicken, and mix it to coat each piece
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the chicken as evenly as possible
- Place the chicken into the greased baking dish.
For the vegetables
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced peppers and onions then add the remaining olive oil and spice blend, Mix well.
- Arrange the vegetables on top of the chicken, and sprinkle with half the cilantro.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Chicken should be 165 degrees when tested with a thermometer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.