This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This old time classic tuna noodle casserole will bring you right back to childhood. Budget-friendly and easy to double for a crowd!
Most people I know grew up on this as a staple in their homes. Their Mom would whip it up and the whole family would grab a plate, and sit down to dinner together.
I love the kind of dinner that you can get cooking, and then use the time it’s in the oven to do something else, like
drink wine, um..read stories with the kids, ride bikes outside or fold a load of laundry.
I’m a working mama and have a busy life, so this kind of dinner is PERFECT for us. Even better, is that for my family of 2 adults and 2 little boys (plus an extra adult every now and then – hi Alexis!) this recipe makes enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.
A weeknight winner, this classic Tuna Noodle Casserole is easy to whip up, and most of the time for this is hands-off. My FAVORITE.
You could easily make this ahead on a Sunday night, and pop in the oven when you get home from work on Monday!
Simple ingredients, although I urge you to try this Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup vs using store bought!
Kylee’s Notes for Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- You can sub any kind of condensed creamed soup you like – mushroom, celery, cheese – you choose!
- Fresh breadcrumbs are awesome, but either fresh or store bought works great
- Add more cheese if you like it cheesier!
- Play around with the vegetables – frozen corn, green beans, peas, carrots – are all good choices in this.
- 8 oz pasta of your choice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs fresh or storebought
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 14 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup (click to make your own)
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- 14 oz chunk light tuna in water (2 cans)
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley minced
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large saucepan, cook the pasta in salted water for slightly less than it recommends on the package (around 2 mins less).
- Drain pasta, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the breadcrumbs to a small bowl, and add the melted butter. Mix until well combined, then add half the cheese.
- Pour the milk and soup into a large saucepan, and mix well.
- Add the vegetables, the other half of the cheese and the tuna.
- Heat over a medium heat until JUST beginning to bubble around the edges.
- Stir in the parsley if using, then remove from the heat.
- Add the pasta to the tuna mixture, and mix until well blended.
- Pour into a 8 x 8 casserole dish, and top with the breadcrumbs/cheese mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
You can sub any kind of condensed creamed soup you like – mushroom, celery, cheese – you choose! Fresh breadcrumbs are awesome, but either fresh or store bought works great Add more cheese if you like it cheesier! Play around with the vegetables – frozen corn, green beans, peas, carrots – are all good choices in this.