This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Comfort food at its finest – this super easy Chicken Pot Pie hits all the right spots. Creamy, tasty and comforting, the addition of biscuits to the top makes this a popular dinner with the whole family!
My husbands younger sister was visiting us recently, and I asked her what she felt like eating. She’s a teenager, and I expected to hear “pizza” or “burgers” or anything that I expect typical teens to want.
She surprised me when she said “I really want chicken and dumplings, or chicken pot pie”
Alrighty then. We were hungry, so I didn’t have a ton of time to whip this up – which is why it’s so awesome. This can be made and served super fast!The best comfort food, my super easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie hits all the right spots. Creamy, tasty & comforting, this is super popular with the whole family #recipe #homemade #comfortfood #potpie #chicken #onepan #dinner
It’s a typical chicken pot pie base, with onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Adding in flour, thyme, chicken, stock, a little half n half or milk, and some frozen peas – then topped with some refrigerated biscuits. You could certainly make them from scratch, of course (see the recipe here), but I needed this to be super simple.
Can you make Chicken Pot Pie ahead?
Yes! Make it right up to the point where you put the biscuits on top. Refrigerate until needed. Reheat in the cast iron skillet for a few minutes until hot, then add the biscuits and cook until golden brown.
Here’s some Step-by-Step pics for you!
Want more comfort food? Of course you do!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie (made in 1 skillet)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled, diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 1/4 Cup half n half
- 1 lb chicken breast diced into small pieces
- 1 Cup frozen peas don’t thaw
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped finely
- 8 refrigerated biscuits
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skilleheat the oil and butter over medium.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and thyme and cook until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook a further 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic)
- Season with salt and pepper, then blend in the flour (it will be thick)
- Cook for a minute or two, then whisk in the stock cream/half n half.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Add the chicken, and bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and parsley.
- Top the mixture with biscuits, and brush with the egg.
- Bake about 20 to 25 minutes – keep an eye on the tops of the biscuits!
- Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes.
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks