This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Comfort food at its finest, this skillet mac & cheese is so easy! Just the skillet and a pasta pot, the and a quick broil, and this is ready FAST!
Get a load of THIS!! Okay, so technically not MAC and cheese, more like rotini and cheese, let’s not split hairs. If I’d had macaroni noodles in my pantry, I’d totally have used them. But I didn’t….
When it came time to cook some lunch super fast on a weekend, I grabbed my cast iron skillet and a pasta pot, and got busy. I’ve been using my skillet for a lot of things lately (there’s plenty more skillet meals coming to the blog soon! I just love how it can go from stove top to oven (cuts down on dishes), as well as how well and evenly it cooks food. Plus it looks super cool and rustic. Right?
[clickToTweet tweet=”Comfort food at its finest, this skillet mac & cheese is so easy! #recipe #pasta #skillet ” quote=”Love this? Tweet it from the rooftops!”]
My mum used to make this dish for my brother and me when we were younger. Come to think of it, when we were older too. She’d have a day off work, and we’d get special permission to go home for lunch, and she’d have this ready for us. This dish is nostalgic, and smacks of love and comfort for me. And is SO GOOD!!
Mum used primarily a mild cheddar for hers, and that’s still awesome – but I wanted to switch it up a little. I used a blend of monterey jack and sharp cheddar. Mainly because that is what I had but also because I like using different cheeses in one dish – it just gives a better blend of flavors. Or something. I don’t know… it’s just good okay? Feel free to use what YOU have, and play around with different combinations. I would love for you to grate your own, too (the pre shredded cheese has an additive that makes it grainy/gritty when melted).
This dish would be great on a weeknight – adding ham and peas, leftover chicken and broccoli, whatever you have!
Want more cast iron skillet meals? Of course you do!
Easy Skillet Mac & Cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta til al dente – drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat – don’t let it brown.
- Add the flour to the butter, and whisk together over the heat.
- When the mixture bubbles for 30 seconds, whisk in the milk, and cook, stirring regularly until it thickens (about 3-5 mins)
- Add the salt and pepper and test for seasoning.
- Keep aside a half cup each of the cheeses, and stir in the rest - whisking until smooth.
- When the pasta is almost done but still firm, drain it.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and add the pasta folding it to combine it thoroughly.
- Top with remaining cheese, and place under a broiler until browned and bubbling.
- Remove from oven, and let cool slightly.