This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We’re bringing childhood back, with this easy Skillet Turkey Chili Mac. Lightened up with turkey vs beef, and packing a protein punch – this one is a family favorite!
Ever eat this as a kid? I didn’t, but I didn’t grow up in the US. It’s freaking delicious though, and I’m making up for my lacking childhood (sorry Mum) by making this for my family.
With a 30 minute start to finish, this is perfect for a week night. However, I typically make this ahead because the flavors are even better the next day. PLUS, it’s all made in ONE SKILLET – which is awesome for those of you that have to do the dishes.
[clickToTweet tweet=”We’re bringing childhood back, with this easy Skillet Turkey Chili Mac. Lightened up by using turkey – this one is a family favorite!” quote=”We’re bringing childhood back, with this easy Skillet Turkey Chili Mac. Lightened up by using turkey – this one is a family favorite!”]
I know that not everyone agrees with me that beans belong in chili, but I think they add a fabulous protein boost, and with the turkey – it’s not quite as high in fat as if I’d used ground beef. Feel free to leave out the beans, and sub ground beef for turkey – I won’t be mad at you!
Super simple ingredients, nothing fancy – and you probably already have everything hanging out in your pantry/fridge already!
Kylee’s Notes for Skillet Turkey Chili Mac
- Sub the turkey for lean ground beef
- Change up the beans – I like black beans, kidney beans and even cannellini beans in this – leave them out if you’re not a fan
- There’s always room for more garlic. Just saying
What’s YOUR favorite dinner that your mom used to make you as a kid?
Want more weeknight winners? Of course you do!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup onion diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced (about 3-4 cloves)
- 1 Tbs prepared chili powder
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes leave out if you’re not a fan of heat
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 oz macaroni pasta
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 15 oz tomato sauce canned
- 15 oz kidney canned - can sub black beans
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese any kind
- 1 Tbs fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink
- Add the onion, bell peppers and cook until vegetable soften.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the macaroni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and water.
- Gently mix to combine.
- Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is tender (about 10-15 mins), stirring regularly.
- Check for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Remove from heat, and fold in the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
Sub the turkey for lean ground beef Change up the beans – I like black beans, kidney beans and even cannellini beans in this – leave them out if you’re not a fan There’s always room for more garlic. Just saying