This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
We’re bringing childhood back, with this easy Skillet Turkey Chili Mac. Lightened up with turkey vs beef, and packing a protein punch – this one is a family favorite!
Ever eat this as a kid? I didn’t, but I didn’t grow up in the US. It’s freaking delicious though, and I’m making up for my lacking childhood (sorry Mum) by making this for my family.
With a 30 minute start to finish, this is perfect for a week night. However, I typically make this ahead because the flavors are even better the next day. PLUS, it’s all made in ONE SKILLET – which is awesome for those of you that have to do the dishes.Love this? Tweet it!
I know that not everyone agrees with me that beans belong in chili, but I think they add a fabulous protein boost, and with the turkey – it’s not quite as high in fat as if I’d used ground beef. Feel free to leave out the beans, and sub ground beef for turkey – I won’t be mad at you!
Super simple ingredients, nothing fancy – and you probably already have everything hanging out in your pantry/fridge already!
Kylee’s Notes for Skillet Turkey Chili Mac
- Sub the turkey for lean ground beef
- Change up the beans – I like black beans, kidney beans and even cannellini beans in this – leave them out if you’re not a fan
- There’s always room for more garlic. Just saying
What’s YOUR favorite dinner that your mom used to make you as a kid?
Want more weeknight winners? Of course you do!
Skillet Turkey Chili Mac
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup onion diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced (about 3-4 cloves)
- 1 Tbs prepared chili powder
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes leave out if you’re not a fan of heat
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 oz macaroni pasta
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 15 oz tomato sauce canned
- 15 oz kidney canned - can sub black beans
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese any kind
- 1 Tbs fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink
- Add the onion, bell peppers and cook until vegetable soften.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the macaroni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and water.
- Gently mix to combine.
- Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is tender (about 10-15 mins), stirring regularly.
- Check for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Remove from heat, and fold in the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.