This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Fluffy and Golden, this Skillet Cornbread is a cinch to make, and is a fantastic side for any meal!
It’s the simple things in life, right? I love the smell of fresh, homemade food coming from my kitchen. So does my family! I can draw them out of their rooms, away from electronics, and out of the pool with just a whiff of some homemade bread.
This recipe for Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread is likely one of THE easiest things to make.Love Skillet Cornbread? Tweet it!
How to make cornbread:
- Grease a cast iron pan with butter, and preheat the oven.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in one bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and oil in another bowl.
- Add the two mixtures together and mix until just combined (mixture will be lumpy)
- Add batter to the greased skillet, and bake.
I make this about a million times a year. It’s great for pretty much everything, and since it’s quick and easy – you can make it when you have an unexpected extra guest at the table.
Kylee’s note about this Skillet Cornbread:
Don’t overmix the batter. It should be lumpy/craggy – not smooth. Why? Because overmixing will make your final product less tender and fluffy. You want it to be light and fluffy.
Ingredients in Cornbread:
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
Super simple, right?
What can you add to this/how to modify?
Anything you like!
- Cooked chorizo, bacon, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, fresh corn kernels – anything!
- You can switch out the milk for buttermilk, or do a combination of milk and sour cream.
What shall I make with it?
Want more sides? Of course you do!
WANT TO TRY THIS SKILLET CORNBREAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAD, SIDES, SUMMER OR CAST IRON RECIPES BOARDS!!
FIND ME ON PIN ITFOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread (with Video)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl blend the egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove skillet from oven, and cool slightly before serving.