This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Fluffy and Golden, this Skillet Cornbread is a cinch to make, and is a fantastic side for any meal!
It’s the simple things in life, right? I love the smell of fresh, homemade food coming from my kitchen. So does my family! I can draw them out of their rooms, away from electronics, and out of the pool with just a whiff of some homemade bread.
This recipe for Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread is likely one of THE easiest things to make.
How to make cornbread:
- Grease a cast iron pan with butter, and preheat the oven.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in one bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and oil in another bowl.
- Add the two mixtures together and mix until just combined (mixture will be lumpy)
- Add batter to the greased skillet, and bake.
I make this about a million times a year. It’s great for pretty much everything, and since it’s quick and easy – you can make it when you have an unexpected extra guest at the table.
Kylee’s note about this Skillet Cornbread:
Don’t overmix the batter. It should be lumpy/craggy – not smooth. Why? Because overmixing will make your final product less tender and fluffy. You want it to be light and fluffy.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
What can you add to this/how to modify?
Anything you like!
- Cooked chorizo, bacon, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, fresh corn kernels – anything!
- You can switch out the milk for buttermilk, or do a combination of milk and sour cream.
What shall I make with it?
Want more sides? Of course you do!
More delicious sides:
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes. There’s a video on this one, showing how EASY this is to make!
- Twice Baked Potatoes. A drool-worthy side dish, these Twice Baked Potatoes are SO good! Make a lot and freeze some for another day.
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Risotto. Risotto in 17-25 minutes?! I’m in!
- Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Roasted Brussels sprouts, paired with delicate shallots, salty bacon and a bit of parmesan – YES PLEASE
- Roasted Broccoli. The unsung hero of weeknight dinner sides. This easy recipe is hands-off and super delicious! If you want your family to eat broccoli and LOVE it, give this a try!
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans. The BEST side for holidays! Fresh green bean bundles are easy to grab and soon to be family favorite!
- Grilled Zucchini. Perfectly Grilled Zucchini with a hint of lime, this easy recipe makes a great side dish and is super fast!
- Glazed Carrots. A simple side dish, using the sweetness of brown sugar combined with fresh rosemary. These Rosemary Glazed Carrots are great for holidays or just a regular Tuesday!
- Sauteed Green Beans. Garlic and shallots gently flavor these sautéed green beans making them a wonderful weeknight or holiday side dish!
- Red Lobster Biscuits. Soft, fluffy biscuits packed with cheddar cheese, and brushed with flavorful garlic butter after baking, these cheddar biscuits are dreamy!
- ALL SIDES
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread (with Video)
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl blend the egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove skillet from oven, and cool slightly before serving.
Recipes written and produced on Kylee Cooks are for informational purposes only. Kylee is not a certified nutritionist. Nutritional data provided on Kylee Cooks has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration.