This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a classic recipe using chicken layered with a creamy sauce studded with peppers and onions, then baked in a casserole dish with cheese and corn tortillas.
This is a great family meal that everyone will enjoy!
Who loves a good casserole? We at the Kylee Cooks household love comfort food, and this King Ranch Chicken absolutely delivers.
Much like lasagna, this is meat and sauce layered in a casserole dish and baked until bubbly and browned on top.
We begin by seasoning up some Signature SELECT™ chicken and cooking it through. Using the same pan (no extra dishes over here!), we make the sauce starting with softening up some onion and bell peppers.
Add in some tomatoes with green chilies a little stock, sour cream and cheese and we have a lick-the-skillet kind of sauce.
Then, just layer the components. Chicken, sauce, cheese and tortillas. Repeat layers, top with some cheese and bake for 15 minutes!
While many people use condensed soups (like cream of chicken soup) to make this casserole, I like to make my own sauce. Since it comes together in under 30 minutes, I feel like the little extra time it takes to make it from scratch is worth it.
Stop by Safeway to grab exclusive brands like Signature SELECT chicken breasts, tomatoes with chilies, flour, vegetable oil and stock. You’ll need Lucerne® butter, sour cream and cheese, and some O Organics® corn tortillas.
Spend $10 on participating items and earn 3x Rewards points through just for U®! Look for the shelf tags to see participating items.
Why this recipe works
- Family friendly. It’s kind of like a southwestern, tex mex style lasagna.
- Adaptable. You could double or triple this recipe for a crowd, with very little extra time.
- Fast. Dinner, done in under 30 minutes? Sold.
I shopped at Safeway in my local area, but you can also find all the ingredients at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop – this has been a lifesaver for me!
Kylee’s Notes & FAQs
How to store
Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container for up to 5 day. Reheat to piping hot.
I don’t recommend freezing this dish. With the sour cream in the sauce, it can separate and not look too great.
- You can use white or yellow corn tortillas, or switch it out for flour tortillas if you prefer.
- I make my own taco seasoning, but you could use chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin in a pinch. Just be sure to add salt and pepper and taste your food before assembling the casserole.
- If you can’t find the tomatoes and green chilies, you can use a can of green chiles in addition to a can of plain tomatoes.
- Black beans in the sauce is a great way to boost the protein and fiber.
- You can make this with a rotisserie chicken if you prefer. Just add the chicken to the sauce, and mix in the taco seasoning with that.
What to serve with King Ranch Casserole
Since this is a casserole, it doesn’t really need accompaniments. However, fresh pico de gallo, sliced jalapenos, guacamole or some sliced avocado would go great with this.
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Vegetable oil. Any kind of neutral cooking oil is fine.
- Chicken. I use Signature SELECT boneless skinless chicken breast. Chicken thighs will also work.
- Salt & pepper. As always, this is to taste. Start with 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper and go from there.
- Taco seasoning. I make my own (and you can too), or you can grab some at the store.
- Butter. I use salted butter.
- Onion & Bell peppers. Diced finely and about the same size as each other.
- Flour. All-purpose flour is good.
- Chicken broth. Or chicken stock. Grab it from the store, or make your own.
- Tomatoes with green chilies. If you can’t find them, grab a regular can of tomatoes and a can of chiles.
- Sour cream. You can use full fat or light. Whichever you like works.
- Tortillas. I use O Organics white corn tortillas cut into quarters.
- Cheese. I use Lucerne cheddar, but pepper jack or Monterey jack work great too. You’ll use a little in the sauce, some between the layers, and then a bunch on top before baking.
Feel free to use more that I specify. Cheese, like garlic, should be measured with your heart!
How to make King Ranch Casserole
Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
Dice the chicken in small pieces, season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning.
Cook the chicken
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet, cook chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet, set aside.
Make the sauce
In the same skillet, melt the butter, and sauté the onion and bell peppers until softened.
Sprinkle the flour over the top and continue to cook briefly.
Add in the chicken stock, tomatoes and green chiles.
Season with a little salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and ½ cup of the cheese.
Assemble & Bake
Set aside about 1/2 cup of the sauce for topping.
Spread a little of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Layer the dish with half the chicken, top with half the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Add a layer of tortillas.
Repeat layer using the remaining chicken mixture and sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
Layer the rest of the tortillas over the top.
Spoon over the reserved half cup of sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake the casserole in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole bubbles up around the edges.
Want more easy recipes?
- Chili Mac with Turkey. We’re bringing childhood back! Lightened-up with turkey vs beef, and made in one pan – this one is a family favorite!
- Skillet Mac & Cheese. Comfort food at its finest, this skillet mac & cheese is so easy! Just the skillet and a pasta pot, the and a quick broil, and this is ready FAST!
- Simple Sour Cream Enchiladas are great to make ahead and bake when you need them.
- This Italian Style Mozzarella Skillet is the stuff of DREAMS. Try it!
Want to try this recipe?
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Boards.
Find me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs taco seasoning
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided, about 12oz
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Dice the chicken in small pieces, season with salt and pepper.
Cook the chicken
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet, cook chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet, set aside.
Make the sauce
- In the same skillet, melt the butter, and sauté the onion and bell peppers until softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top and continue to cook briefly.
- Add in the chicken stock, canned tomatoes and green chiles. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and ½ cup of the cheese.
Assemble & Bake
- Set aside about ½ cup of the sauce for topping.
- Spread a little of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Layer the dish with half the chicken, top with half the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Add a layer of tortillas.
- Repeat layer using the remaining chicken and sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Layer the rest of the tortillas over the top.
- Spoon over the reserved half cup of sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole bubbles up around the edges.