This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A rich, tomato-based sauce made from scratch, linguine pasta, and chicken – all topped with melty mozzarella cheese. What is not to love? (Nothing. The answer is NOTHING).
It’s been a little while of me not sharing anything dinner related, and that’s a shame. Because I eat dinner every night! I really only eat the sweet stuff occasionally, but the holiday season… man, it just gets out of control.
We interrupt the seemingly regular schedule lately of desserts and baked goods to bring you…. this.
This dinner is DELICIOUS, people. Like, lick the plate, and grab a spoon and eat any leftover sauce from the skillet kind of delicious.
It’s all made from pretty basic ingredients, that you probably already have. Isn’t that how some of the greatest dinners are made? Using what you have, and winging it a little? That’s how it works at my house!Love this? Tweet it!
Usually, my basic tomato sauce is onion, garlic, tomatoes, with some fresh herbs (I usually use basil). However, I didn’t have any fresh basil, so I added some basil pesto to the sauce. I have to tell you, I think this is THE key ingredient to it all. It brings such a fresh and complex flavor to an otherwise fairly simple sauce. It’s kind of divine, actually. Happiest accident, ever!
I actually make the sauce in the same skillet that I cook the chicken in, scraping up all the yummy flavor and whisking it in with the sauce – it really does give the sauce an extra touch of flavor, and ties it in beautifully with the rest of the meal.
Want more weeknight meals? Of course you do!!
Italian Style Chicken Mozzarella Skillet
- 2 Tbs olive oil divided
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into thin cutlets to make 4
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 3-4 Tbs basil pesto
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 lb linguine pasta cooked
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large cast iron or other oven proof skillet, over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken then cook on both sides, until browned and fully cooked. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add the other 1 Tbs olive oil to the skillet, and heat.
- Add the onions, and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the water and deglaze the skillet, scraping up the flavor from the bottom.
- Add the tomatoes, basil pesto, dried oregano, salt and pepper, and stir until fully combined.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, and allow to cook a further 10 minutes on low. (Now is a good time to cook your pasta)
- Taste test the sauce and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, and submerge in the sauce.
- Top with cheese (use more or less, as to your own taste), and melt until the broiler until browned on top.
- Serve with cooked linguine.