This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Tender and flavorful, learn how to bake juicy chicken breasts the easy way. Done in under 30 minutes, you’ll love this simple recipe!
Step-by-step photos and instructions are below!
Tender and juicy oven-baked chicken breasts are a quick and easy weeknight dinner option. Simply season and bake to perfection for a delicious and healthy meal that the whole family will love. Perfect for meal prep or busy weeknights, this versatile recipe can be paired with your favorite side dishes for a complete meal.
I have the secret to cooking juicy chicken breasts with very little effort, and with a few tips and techniques (read on), fool proof!
This recipe is a great way to enjoy a healthy and tasty meal without spending hours in the kitchen! Try our oven baked chicken breasts for a delicious dish that’ll make your mouth water.
I use a fairly simple seasoning, but be sure to add your favorite seasonings and spice blends to make it even more flavorful depending on what you plan to do with your chicken! Try Cajun seasoning for chicken with a little bite, or Tuscan Seasoning for a yummy, Italian style herby flavor. A little lemon juice squeezed over is always a good idea.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- This is a super easy recipe that can be adapted to your tastes. It is very simple to make, and the chicken can be used for dinner, lunch, chicken salads or sandwiches.
- It’s the best way to cook chicken breasts (or chicken thighs) since it’s hands off!
- Perfect for meal prep. Cook these up on a Sunday ready for the week’s meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
350-425°F (175-220°C) is a general range for baking chicken breasts in the oven. I do mine at 350°F for the best results.
The baking time for chicken breasts depends on the thickness and size of your chicken breasts, but it typically ranges from 20-30 minutes.
Marinating is not necessary, but it can add flavor and moisture to the chicken.
You can also brine chicken breasts. Dissolve a handful of salt and a little brown sugar in room temperature water, and add the chicken breasts. Allow to brine around 15 minutes, then rinse, oil, season and cook.
Yes, chicken breasts can be cooked from frozen in the oven, but the cooking time will be longer.
Yes, you can bake chicken breasts in aluminum foil or parchment paper, which can help to retain moisture and prevent sticking to the baking dish.
Use a digital thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast, chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165° F (73°C)
Dry chicken is no good! Cook at a lower temperature (like 350° F instead of a higher temperature like 400°F).
Cook until internal temperature is 160° (when measured at the thickest part of the chicken) then tent with foil.
It will reach 165° while you let the chicken rest.
What to serve with Chicken?
I have included step-by-step photos and instructions, as well as tips and tricks in the post. If you’d rather skip all that, scoot right on down to the full recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Oven Baked Chicken Breast Tips and Tricks
What to do with leftovers
Leftover chicken should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Choose any kind of seasoning or blend that you like, mix it up , and cook 4 differently seasoned breasts if you want!
Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F when tested with a digital meat thermometer in the thickest part.
This recipe can be frozen after cooking. Slice, or keep the breasts whole and place in a freezer bag, and freeze until needed. Thaw in the refrigerator and use in salads, sandwiches or recipes that need chicken.
Recipe Ingredients and Possible Substitutes
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts. Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can use frozen chicken if you like. I prefer to thaw mine before baking, but they can also be cooked from frozen.
- Chicken breast seasonings. If you are cooking chicken to eat as is, ie as your protein for dinner, choose you favorite seasoning blend. If you are cooking chicken for use in recipes, just simple salt and pepper will do.
For this recipe, I used smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder as well as kosher salt and black pepper.
Try Taco Seasoning for a yummy change.
- Oil. Any oil will do, I use olive oil mostly, but avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil will do nicely.
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Instant read thermometer
How to make this recipe
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Prepare the chicken
Optional: so that your chicken breasts are of even thickness, place between plastic wrap or in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin, or meat mallet, pound the chicken so they are all even thickness.
Blot dry the chicken breasts with paper towels. Place chicken breasts in a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and drizzle the olive oil over the top.
Flip the chicken around and rub the olive oil all over.
Season the chicken breasts
Combine the paprika, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over the boneless chicken breasts.
Bake for 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken breast) or until an inserted digital thermometer reads 165°F.
More delicious chicken recipes:
- Chicken Piccata Recipe. An old time classic, that is quick and easy to make and full of flavor. Butter, lemon juice and capers make the delicious sauce!
- Pesto Stuffed Chicken (with Cream Cheese). Super easy to make, finishes in the oven for some hands-off cooking! Creamy and delicious, everyone will love this dinner!
- Chicken Divan. A classic casserole with broccoli, chicken, cheese and a crunchy topping. You will make this family favorite over and over!
- Lemon Butter Chicken. A quick & easy dinner, packed full of flavor. Great for a weeknight meal when you are staring at the fridge and pantry “what to make?
- ALL CHICKEN RECIPES
- ALL WEEKNIGHT RECIPES
Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken breasts in a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and drizzle the olive oil over top.
- Flip the chicken around and rub the olive oil all over.
- Season the chicken with the paprika, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes until an inserted digital thermometer reads 165°F.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.