This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
A classic Chicken Divan Casserole with broccoli, chicken, cheese and a crunchy topping. You will make this family favorite over and over!
This recipe first appeared at The Salty Marshmallow where I am a contributor
Chicken Casserole is one of my family’s favorite dishes, they love the cheese, and I love the protein and greens – so we all win! It’s so very easy to make, even without my suggested shortcuts!
ANY time I pull a casserole dish out of the oven, the smell of it along brings my kids to the table, ready to eat. I consider this a win in the nightly dinnertime battle!
This easy recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed, just add an extra 5-10 minutes to the cook time to ensure everything cooks perfectly.
Why is this called Chicken Divan?
The original Chicken Divan recipe was named after the restaurant it was created in – the Divan Parisienne Restaurant in New York City.
You’ll need an 8×8 pan for this recipe, but no special equipment is needed otherwise. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
- BROCCOLI – this is about 2 medium heads of broccoli
- CHICKEN – you can use precooked chicken, you’ll need about 2 cups cooked.
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
- CHEESE – I use cheddar.
- BREAD CRUMBS – plain, unseasoned.
- BUTTER – salted, melted
How to make Broccoli Chicken Divan
If you are starting out with precooked chicken, skip that step!
- Begin by dicing up the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces,
- Cut your fresh broccoli into florets. Florets are just the green top part of the broccoli, cut into small pieces, with the majority of the stalk removed.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- In a medium bowl combine the soup and milk.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the baking dish.
- Pour over the soup/milk mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Add the bread crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Season with salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. with this easy risotto recipe.
FAQs and Kylee’s Notes
Reheat individual servings in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot and bubbly. If you made this ahead, just cook in the oven at 350 degrees F until hot and bubbly – around 30 minutes from refrigerated.
You can use any kind of condensed soup – I recommend Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery or just plain Cheddar Soup. You can make your own Cream of Chicken Soup too!
Want to take a shortcut or 2? Use precooked rotisserie chicken or buy fully cooked chicken from the grocery store. Buy broccoli that is already cut into florets, or use frozen broccoli.
- Want more chicken or weeknight recipes?
- How about Chicken Pot Pie (made in 1 skillet)? It’s super easy, and an absolute family favorite!
- Simple Sour Cream Enchiladas are great to make ahead and bake when you need them.
- This Italian Style Mozzarella Skillet is the stuff of DREAMS. Try it!
- One Pan Ham & Cheese Pasta – pure comfort food and ready in under 30 minutes. YESSSS!!
- ALL CHICKEN RECIPES
- ALL WEEKNIGHT RECIPES
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Chicken Divan Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Dice the chicken. Combine the soup and milk in a medium bowl, and the breadcrumbs and butter in a small bowl.
- COOK THE CHICKEN
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to an 8×8 baking dish, and pour the soup/milk mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and pour over the breadcrumbs/butter mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.